NewBee needs help!!!!

Thought I'd send a few pics of the tower under construction.

the first pic is the main tower section.
the second is the hoist motor (aka R/C servo motor with pot removed) and limit switches
the third is the finished cabin. it also has an R/C servo motor init to turn it. it picks up electric through train rails glued to the outside of the main support.
I'll send a completed pic when it's all back together.

hope you enjoy,
Bob.......

p.s. it's all made by hand! hours and hours worth. :(

Hi Bob,

I knew these guys would help, thats why I recommend this website :)

I can show you how to hook up the PLC and some of the basics, but these guys will go the extra mile and really help when needed

:site:

I was wondering if you could explain how it works and what I can adjust to match it to our model. I don't understand how you did the counting for the loading to know when to start the ride.
Bob, not knowing how many seats there were, I could not use a Counter to count them. However that could be done with the addition of an additional limit switch input to a Counter (CTU instrtuction) in the program.

I will try to explain it the best I can. The Ferris wheel is controlled by program ladder Rungs 11, 12, and 13. It simply has two timers. The first Timer 6 (rung 11) sets the overall cycle time of the Ferris wheel: 30 seconds for Loading, 31 Seconds Run time. Timer 6 is set up to be self-resetting: When it gets to 61 seconds, the timer Done bit goes on. This bit placed on Rung 11 in front of Timer 6 causes the timer to reset to 0 and start timing again (repeats cycle).

The second Timer 7 is a 4-second self-resetting timer that controls the Loading. It waits 3 seconds for unload/load, then moves for 1 second to the next seat. Not knowing how many seats there were, I simply let Timer T4:7 run INSIDE the T6 loop, until Timer 6 reaches 30 seconds (end of Loading). If you want to let T7 run until all seats are unloaded & loaded, then count the number of seats and multiply by 4 seconds to get the total Loading time needed. Then change Timer 6 so that it has a Loading time of L plus a 31-second Run time = Timer 6 Preset time. In other words, if there were really 12 seats, 12 X 4 seconds = 48 seconds. 48 Loading + 31 Run = Preset time for Timer 6 of 79 seconds. For this case, set Timer 6 to 7900 (timer base of 0.01 seconds) instead of the 6100 in it now. Also, on Rung 13, change the "Source B" in the GEQ instruction from 3000 to 4800, so that it allows 48 seconds for Loading, before going to continuous Run.

Another way to change the Loading is to adjust Timer 7. Instead of a 4-second loading time, you could have a 3-second cycle, with 2 seconds unload/load, and 1 second to move car. This would reduce the total loading time. Timers 6 and 7 are related, so that if you change T7, you probably need to adjust T6 also.

On a real Double Ferris Wheel, the rotation of each wheel can be controlled separately from rotation of the whole (Double Wheel). This is necessary to allow for stopping each wheel on the bottom to unload and load each seat. I suspected that your wheel has both motions tied together. Because of that, you may want to remove the Double Ferris Loading Timer. Simply Delete Rung 15, and delete the second GEQ instruction on the bottom branch of Rung 16.

I can do these changes for you, and upload a new Revision, if you want. If you will tell me how many seats you have on the Ferris Wheel, I can make it work nearly perfect.

Last edited:
Any thing else we can do to improve this ?
I am not familiar with all the rides. It may be possible to make some of them more realistic. I bet many of the original rides had flashing lights (I know Merry-Go-Rounds have many of them). It is easy to make lights flash in a desired pattern, with a PLC program! (y)

If a flapper brake were installed on the Ferris Wheel to make it coast to a stop with a car at the loading position, on even cars, then it would look more real.

Last edited:
HI Guys,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner but my wife has stage 4 brain cancer and just had a Hemorrhagic stroke. I spent most of the day in the hospital:( cancer really sucks!!!!!
I do like the idea of the flashing lights. what is involved with that? I still haven't had a chance to digest your explination for the ferris wheel. this is the first I've been on the computer in 3 days. I would appreciate it if you could let me know how to do the lights. I probably won't get to study it till next week. I'll be spending most of my weekend at the hospital.

take care,
Bob..........

Bob,

I hope that your wife pulls through okay. I am thinking of you and feel your pain.

To make a flasher circuit, there are many techniques. One of the easiest is to use a bit from your SLC 5/03 Free Running Clock, with RSLogix laddder logic like this. Any of the 16 clock bits can be used, depending on how fast you want it to flash. Bits 3, 4, 5, and 6 are commonly used.

| Status Register |
| Free-Running Clock Bit Light Cicuit |
| S:4/4 Output O:1/10 |
|------| |------------------------------------( )----------|
| |

Last edited:
Bob,

Here are some more flasher methods for the Allen-Bradley SLC.

Flasher_Methods.JPG

HI Guys,

thanks for the flasher circuits. I did get a chance to play with the first one you showed me. I used bit 7 and an R-C circuit to flash an LED light at the top of the tower. with the combo I picked the LED never really goes out but it has a real nice slow flash to it. after I built the light, I started putting the tower together.
I'll keep you informed. I can't wait to hook it all together and try it!

I've been spending most of my time at the hospital. my wife is slowly recovering but will take some therapy to get there.

you all take care an have a great day,
Bob.........

how did you post the picture of the circuit?
Bob, it is a LogixPro program, which has a menu option to "Save Rungs as Picture". I did that, then uploaded the JPG picture and pasted the picture link right below the text (in the "Go Advanced - Display Pictures" menu at the bottom of the PLCs.net screen).

For a normal RSLogix file, you can use the "File, Print" commands to print out the rungs to a PDF file or a JPG file, then upload that file.

Last edited:
This is fun stuff guys. I sure wish rsdoran was here to enjoy it.
Yes, old Ron would have a lot to say about building a model of an amusement park, because he worked in carnivals for years. He once posted a bunch of pictures here of various rides that he had worked on. I am sure they are still here somewhere.

EDIT: I think this is Ron Doran's thread about carnivals.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24289

Last edited:
HI Lancie1

thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind, I hope! :)

I finally had a chance to go over your ferris wheel routine. I think I understand what you've done. I'm not sure how many seats it has but I will change the timers to reflect a longer ride and load time. I'll play with that tomorrow and let you know how I make out. I'm figuring about 15 seconds to load/unload a seat, then make the ride run for 2 minutes. so if the ride has 12 seats I would make T6 Preset time 30000. source B would be set to 18000, and T7 set to would be set to 18000. does tht sound right?

well time for bed. chat with ya later,
Bob..........

"I'm figuring about 15 seconds to load/unload a seat, then make the ride run for 2 minutes.

So if the ride has 12 seats I would make T6 Preset time 30000."
Correct. T6 = (Number of Seats multiplied by Loading Time for each seat) + Running Time =
(12 seats X 15 seconds) + (2 minutes X 60) = 180 + 120 = 300 seconds = 30000 timer setting.

"source B would be set to 18000,"
Correct. The "Source B" for the LEQ instruction on Rung 12 is simply the Total Loading Time(12 X 15) X 100.

"and T7 would be set to 18000. Does that sound right?"
You got a little confused here. T7 is the Loading Time for ONE seat, or 15 seconds (1500 timer setting) in this case. Perhaps you should change the description for T7 from "Ferris Wheel Loading Timer" to "Ferris Wheel 1-Seat Loading Timer". That would make it clearer about what T7 is actually timing.

Also, don't forget to change the "Source B" in the bottom branch GEQ instruction on Rung 13. You want to allow some time for the wheel to move to the next seat. The wheel-advance time is the difference between T7 minus the Rung 13 bottom "Source B". So if T7 is set for 1500, make this "Source B" 1400 or somewhere around there for a 1-second pulse on the motor (whatever actual time the wheel needs to advance 1 seat).

Last edited: