NewBee needs help!!!!

Bob,

In the attached Revision 8, I changed the two pushbuttons to one Run/Stop maintained-contact switch. That wil be simpler to wire up and operate. However, with the single maintained-contact Run/Stop switch, you cannot add any type of timed run (where the park shuts down after a certain number of running minutes or hours).

Last edited:
The movie was a slick showing. What intrigues me is how you got it to turn while raising and lowering? Is it raised by the string shown or is that part of the position sensing?

Also wanted to see pictures of the trains - guess I am an afficianado of trains also.

Dan Bentler

well this is for the "I have to know how it works" guys. the tower is a metal tube. I glued HO gauge rails to the sides. there is a set of wheels inside the cabin that guide the cabin up. inside is a small radio controled servo that picks up power through the rails. this is what turns the cabin. the cabin is made from plastic and plumbing parts. on the bottom of each step (where the door is) I have a magnet glued to the bottom. at the base of the tower I have a reed switch that is hot all the time. as soon as the cabin lifts, it starts to turn. when it comes down, it will stop when one of the magnets trips the switch.

the lifting is done with a radio controlled servo. I removed the stop control and circuit boards so that they just turn. I then built a wood barrel to wind up the string on. the string is heavy duty sewing thread. there is a bolt attached to the end of the barrel and there is an aluminum slider that contacts two switches. these are the bottom and top limit switches.I used an 8-32 bolt and it turns 17.5 times from bottom to top.

the PLC reads the bottom limit switch and starts a loading timer. then it turn on the servo and starts to raise the cabin. once the magnet disengages the reed switch, the cabin spins. when the top limit switch is contacted, the PLC starts a timer that lets it spin for a certain time. I need to increase that a hair as the real one turns 3 revolutions. then the PLC turns on a DPDT relay that reverses the servo motor voltage and turns on the servo, lowering it. when the bottom limit switch is hit, and the magnet goes over the reed switch the cycle starts again.

so that's how the whole thing works. everything is made by hand and it took me about 5 months to work out the details and build.

I'm glad you like it and I have to thank everyone that has given me helpful advice on the coding. I built it, but you guys made it work!

Bob.........

Last edited:
The movie was a slick showing. What intrigues me is how you got it to turn while raising and lowering? Is it raised by the string shown or is that part of the position sensing?

Also wanted to see pictures of the trains - guess I am an afficianado of trains also. Dan Bentler

Thanks for sharing the design. Intriguing and very nice design.

Dan Bentler

I notice on the Reading RR web page an event comming up May 9th. Will the Hershey mini be up and running at this event? If so where will it be located? If not when will it be up and running and where? I would love to see it.

unfortunately the earliest that anyone feels we could have it ready would be our July Starsburg show 2010! I know it sounds like a LONG time but, the amount of detail that will be needed for this section is unbeleivable! everyone agrees that we will not show it until it is totally finished. it's going to blow everyone's socks off. we've been working on a few other modules that needed improvements. now that they are done, we will be working solely on Hershey. I would like to have it done by Christmas this year but don't hold me to that. we only meet once a week for a few hours on the weekend. that's why it will take so long to finish. the Kissing tower was a main sticking point in even building it. so now that it's built and the program debugged, thanks to Lancie!, we will spend the rest of our time working on it.

I'll keep you informed of our progress and let you know when it will debut.

Bob..........