Omron Pro in Seattle

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day,

Looking for someone in the Seattle Washington area who is skilled with Omron Sysmac Studio who might be willing to bring me up to speed quickly on this software platform.
Not looking for something for nothing, I am very happy to compensate you for your time out of my pocket and I will deal with my company to get reimbursed.

We just got a brand new ship and it has a very complex hotel/palletizing/shrink wrapping and elevator system.
The programmer that works for the contractor who installed this system is based in Norway and has some family issues, so he is not returning to troubleshoot and debug this system. It was just installed and is mostly working but there are still some bugs.

I am poking though it when time allows but its a big ship and there is only one of me.
If anyone is in the Seattle area, familiar with Omron and has the time to work with me to bring me up to speed on this programing format I would be very grateful.
The rest of our factories are programed in Allen Bradley using ladder logic which I am familiar with, but this Omron programing is written it what appears to be a combination of structured text, function blocks and ladder logic.

We are scheduled to depart for Alaska in one week so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Even if you are not in the area but know Omron Sysmac Studio very well, if you have some spare time to video chat and give me some pointers that would be great.

The entire crew will be depending on this working so it does not effect their income and I want to be as prepared as possible to meet the challenges as they arise.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but had to throw it out there and see.
We are located at Pier 91 (The cruise ship terminal)

Thanks in advance.

Fjord.jpg

I can try with the limited understanding.
Is it in English??
Can you share the code via pm.?

It is a learning curve, but relatively straight forward once you get around to it

I can try with the limited understanding.
Is it in English??
Can you share the code via pm.?

It is a learning curve, but relatively straight forward once you get around to it

The text is in English.

I would be very grateful for any assistance to make the learning curve arch a bit flatter.

I will shoot you a pm in a few minutes.

Thanks

Have you tried connecting/going online etc? Is there any protected code? Do you have all the EDS/ESI files for any networked devices? Do you have the programs for any HMI's connected? Make sure your version of Sysmac is the same or more recent than what the original system integrator used.

A couple of things to watch out for in Omron compared to AB.
In Omron you can differentiate a contact up/down so you won't find many one-shots like when looking at AB programs.
You can differentiate on output instruction by adding "@" so although the rung may be true it may have been only true for the one scan.
Inline structured text. It will look strange but it's great to use.

Sorry for the delayed responses, I keep getting kicked off the forum and have to log back on for some reason.

@lostcontrol
I sent you a PM, I am not able to attach the file in PM but you can PM me your email I can send it to you.

@ chelton
Thanks for the tips.
I have uploaded the programs from most of the PLCs and HMIs.
The only thing that asked for a password was the safety CPUs, but I believe it is allowing me to read.
I have not downloaded any EDS files for the drives or any network devices yet.
The system is using MX drives and appears to be networked using EtherCat.

I am unable to share the file due to its size here but I can post some print screens.
Anyone familar with structured text please feel free to comment and give any advice that will help me start making since of how this works.
Ladder is ver easy to comprehend compared to this but I am sure once the layout of the structured text becomes more obvious it will start to make since as well.
This print screen is starting from the top under Programs > General.

I am able to follow the IF, Then, Else, etc.
It is similar to programing Seimins Logo using FB except this is using text.
But wrapping my head around how it all fits together and makes any since is a challenge at the moment.

General 1.jpg

Program actually looks well commented (Green text) which will help.
With structured text you need to think of the "output" first. Well written ST anyway.
Newbies tend to write a lot of "If" "then" "else".

None of the ST looks difficult, just to to x-ref the end points
But for the most, it looks like they copying manual commands/resets at a ‘global’ level for simplicity

Try & expand out configurations & setup, you should be able to get an idea of the io structures etc