OT. I've been infected....with Winfixer

elevmike said:
how to get my email files & settings etc..over to the new machine, (both new & old on the network now

If you're using Outlook Express you need to do a
FILE - IMPORT - MESSAGES to get the old mail into the new computer. Copy your identities from your old computer to your new computer (just put them on the desktop, you need to delete them after you do the import). The email identities on your old computer are located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

Address book is similar; you have to do an import for this to work correctly as well. The address book is in:
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Or you could buy and use this software:
http://www.laplink.com/products/pcmover/overview.asp

It works really well and can get EVERYTHING (user selectable) transfered.

Hope this helps.

elevmike said:
Ok so when I was trying to clear the problem I was only running one virus scanner at a time. I'd think that would be ok???

Anyway now I've got two new problems, 1) how to get my email files & settings etc..over to the new machine, (both new & old on the network now). 2) Getting my son off the new machine...He's got some games on it that preform way better.....

Off to find some rope. Later.

Mike,
I update my puter every year and usualy i yank the hard drive out of the old one and plug it in the new one..simple to transfer files. I then erase it and use it to store junk stuff on on (My music, Pictures etc)..Then at upgrade time i yank the new one out and it becomes my "Junk" drive..Last computer crashed so i didnt have time to get the drives the way i wanted so i now i have 3 hard drives in the new puter.. BTW the new one is a cicero AMD 64 and it is sweet!! Auto cad loads and runs like a dream..Now if i could only figure out how to use it properly :)..Also FYI i use Kapersky anti virus and havnt had a problem..

One thing that dosnt seem to work that well is the microsoft anti virus..Ever since i installed it when it runs it wants me to put the office 2000 CD in?? I do and it says it cant find the file its looking for..I have to hit cancell about 15-20 times then it works?..This also happens when i try to access a network drive..It all stated once i installed the anti virus.. :(

Mark & Darren,

Thanks for the tips. Last time I did this I had a hard time finding the outlook email & contacts etc. Since their in Documents & Settings. I wonder if I just copy Documents & Settings and use it to replace the one on the new machine if that'll do it?

Actually I've got a lot of work to do here. the old machine has TWO 40 gig drives. The second drive has all my work projects (data). The C drive has all the programs/applications. I'm gonna check into Laplink also.

Mike.

Don't just copy the docs and settings folder!!!

This will really screw stuff up... You can just copy the my documents folder, the favorites folder, and cookies folder.

i really wish more PLC companies would offer linux (or at least MAC) versions of their developer software. but the way AB holds up MS and Intel, it will probably be a cold day in hell before they port any of their stuff. Opto22 offers a linux developers kit, but no actual developer software.... blah.

My linux box runs with no anti-virus behind a cheapo hardware firewall and i can browse even the nastiest of websites without a problem.

my work laptop runs XP. I only use it on the company network and stick to manufacturer's websites when browsing. haven't had any nastyware on it yet after using it daily for the last 2 years.

Since you're using the same e-mail program, it should be easy enough to transfer your contacts, etc. from one to another, but then again, this IS MicroSOFT were talking about... :(

One of our guys here was using MSN Explorer for e-mail (with an MSN account on Hotmail). When we got a website, he wanted to use his new e-mail address, and asked me to transfer all his e-mail, contacts, etc. from MSN Explorer to Outlook (NOT Outlook Express). I figured it would be a cinch since they're all MicroSOFT products. Not a chance. Each one used different method of storing the info... :rolleyes:

After I finally got it all working, he decided that Outlook was too hard to use, and went back to using MSN Explorer... o_O

🍻

-Eric

Another good prog on the security front is WinPatrol (http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html)

This monitors your computer and warns you of any program that tries to make a registry change. It doesn't slow the pooter down even though its running constantly. It can be a bit of a pain if you are installing things cos it will still pop up and warn you something is trying to alter the registry but it does give you piece of mind.

Mike, on the subject of transferring emails etc. You should be able to 'export' your address book and all your email stuff from one proggy and then 'import' into the other.

Alternatively, with Incredimail (my old email client before Thunderbird), you could literally copy your 'identities' folder over to the new computer and it would work... wouldn't try that with Microsh*te though...

If you can't export etc then I'm sure a bit of googling will turn up a little addon prog that will export/import addresses and contacts from your email client.

Good luck...

JT :)

Ad-aware is a cracking free piece of software for getting rid of 'spyware'.

And Sygate do a great personal firewall (free...)

Also, Search and Destroy gets rid of some of the other beasties that some of programs might miss...

Absolutely HERE!!! HERE!!! to these three programs.

I reckon the best virus scanner I have ever found is NOD32 - www.nod32.com . Check it at http://www.virusbulletin.com/ - it has not missed a virus "in the wild" in over 5 years. Scxans incoming e-mail. Scans really fast too - I hardly even notice it running. Set it up for maximum heuristic scanning. It is not free but is also not expensive. No rip offs having to pay for new versions of the core. Just download the new core as part of the annual or bi-annual maintenance fee. The do not place adds on CNET or ZDNET so they do not promote or test the program. I have sent e-mails to both of them several times asking why. Not even a reply. Those who advertise appear to get preference on both those sites.

Norton is a resource hog and even half kills even a 3 gig P4 processor with 1 gig RAM. I do use other Norton tools that are part of System Works and they are great but never the anti virus software. It really is a dog, in my view.

By the way, I am running Sygate, NOD32 and the Microsoft AntiSpyware program all at once and have absolutely no problems with them on XP Pro SP2 and all updates except the one that MS now offer to check if your copy of XP is genuine. Have disabled MS firewall though with no changes to any other settings. Have no problems with Omron CX-One runn ing properly either.

Last edited:
After seeing some comments about Norton AV I'm curious what version everyone is running...

I've been running the corporate edition for about 5 years now (currently v10 started at v7) and love it, but when I've had to work on other peoples computers (friends & family) with the cheapo version you can buy at Best Buy or comes pre-installed I've never cared for the user interface. I have no idea if its just UI that is different or if the corporate is really just all together better, but for an office environment I'd recomend spending the money for a yearly subscription to the corporate edition; there is a minimum 10 PC license for corporate, but who doesn't have 10 PCs between office and home :D

Interesting...

Ken M said:
Rod wrote

Hmmm.... so let me get this right. The person's still alive when you draw (disembowel) them. Then you quarter them (hack off the limbs and head). Won't that make it a bit tricky to hang them afterwards? Where does the rope go? Do you then you pick a bit a random and shoot it? Or use a Gatling and do them all? And which bits get thrown in the fire?

No, I'm being too picky - it sounds good to me.

Ken
Here is a definition from wikipedia. I thought the phrase "draw & quater" was refering to being dragged and harnessed as you would a horse. In the above link you will see the order was to Hang then Draw & Quarter...

Daniel,

I think your right. BTW the guy who got disembouled was William Wallace. (aka Braveheart). It seems the English had a "special" way of dealing with "disrupters".

A good site for 'free' anti spyware and a system monitor is:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

I'm not normally a big microsoft fan but I've been running this thing for over a year and I find it almost bulletproof, as long as you use it alongside a virus scanner.
I run two systems (work and home) one with Computer Associates Anti Virus and the other with Norton. Neither of these programs is fool proof unless you regulary update the virus signature files, personally I suggest updating twice a day as a minimum.
So far this year I've experienced 1 virus, and Norton fixed it 3 hours later.
Spyware seems to be more of an issue lately, there's some nasties out there, but thankfully Microsoft AntiSpy caught them before they did any damage. Like I said I'm not a Microsoft fan but they seem to have found a useful program that actually does what it's supposed to do!

I will endorse laplink. I have used it a few times. Today with the ability to put your old hard drive in desk top, makes things easier. When I upgraded my old laptop from a 6G to 20G we imaged the old one on the desktop and then imaged the 20G. The only problem I had was when I added the software for my Nikon digital camera. It and step 7 fought for control of my laptop. I had to deinstall both programs to run power point to finish teaching a class. Then I found out about msconfig and how to shut step 7 off except when I want it to run.

I have Cheyenne on my work laptop, the company IT guy likes it. It auto updates and the newest version does things in the background.

I was using Norton on my home computer. The AV was great. Wifey emails with too many people that have no clue about not opening everything in their in box. I used Norton Works and subscribed for auto updates. I was not impressed with the Works part. The MS versions of scan disk and defrag do a much better and faster job IMO. I now have McAfee on my home computer and have not had any issues.