OT. I've been infected....with Winfixer

Johnny T said:
Alternatively, with Incredimail (my old email client before Thunderbird), you could literally copy your 'identities' folder over to the new computer and it would work...
Incredimail is not an email client.
It sends all your email traffic on a detour through their servers.
Not good if you are concerned about privacy or security.
Also, once installed, it is difficult to remove.
There have been many reports of virii/malware included with the downloaded install package.

Gerry said:
Incredimail is not an email client.
It sends all your email traffic on a detour through their servers.
Not good if you are concerned about privacy or security.
Also, once installed, it is difficult to remove.
There have been many reports of virii/malware included with the downloaded install package.

Gerry

All email clients use someone's server to relay the mail. That's why you don't need to be online all the time to receive email,they are stored on a server somewhere. Hence the pop3 and smtp addresses you enter (pop3 the 'inbox' address of the server thats storing your mail, smtp the address of the server that's sending your mail).

As for virii being bundled with incredimail, I think those rumours were borne out of some bad programming in the later releases. I tried to upgrade my incredimail about a year ago and it crashed the computer and wouldn't install properly. This wasn't a virus but just poor coding on their part (in my humble) so I gave up with incredimail and started using Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) which is open source and a much more reliable bit of kit...

Cheers

JT :))

I use Incredimail...

I found that the "Free" version does try to add some adware, but when I purchased it and install the full version I had no detection, it works great on XP. I have Norton 2005 AV, Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, SpyBot S&D...

Question:

To retain all my data & settings ect when moving to a new confuser:

What if.... I Just move the hard drive? I'd set the old drive as C: in the new computer and update all the drivers for the new hardware?? After the settings are all set, then I'd "Ghost" the hard drive so I could use the newer- much larger capacity drive.

One of the problems is that some of the CDs are scratched, and we cant get all the software to install properly on the new machine. If I could use the old drive on the new machine as the master, then I'd be all set.

BTW, both old and new are WinXP.

Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.

XP actually handles this pretty well compared to previous MS OSs (ie 95/98), but its still pretty messy.

It should work, but you'll probably spend a lot of time getting things just right and all the old junk from your old putter (drivers, etc) that isn't needed will still load every time you boot up and bog things down.

I'll still recommend the LapLink PC Mover software (it copies your software as well as documents and settings). $40 for that software is probably a better buy than hours of your time fiddling with settings and drivers to get the 'old' drive to boot the new computer.

Just my 2c.

Just make the old drive the master and use the new for storage. If you have the old drive in your new computer you can go to bios and set it as the Master. Our home desktop has 2 drives and either can be Master and booted from, the old drive has W98 and alot of my PLC/Drive/Dos programs, the newer drive has XP and the families junk.

Shouldn't be any settings, except slave or master in bios, to set if the old drive is bootable. You can switch between them all you want with the new computers.

I kind of take part of that back, when you boot the "old" drive in the new computer you will probably have to re-install windows, hopefully you are not using a "designed for XP" system that will not have drivers if your old system had W98 etc.

Last edited:
I don't think pooters like having to versions of XP as a dual boot format. I'm not 100% sure about this but I seem to remember reading something about it in the dim and distant past. Something about the boot sector on the drive I think..

If you aren't careful you could end up with two drives that are both just full of junk (ie. incomplete registries etc).

Would it not be possible to just get hold of new installation disks if you already have the license for them there shouldn't be a problem?

NOTE: I did not say DUAL BOOT.

Any computer can have multiple hard drives that are "bootable". The Master, set in bios, will be the one that is booted from. The newer computers make it easy to switch between the drives.

Mike you may want to double-check the drive specs, the new may not be any faster then the old...just depends.

Last edited:
I would like to see the anti-social little creeps chained to a fire hydrant by their testicles. Then you give them a dull knife, and ........

Ron, the old system is XP. I was thinking of just moving the drive from one machine to the other. So the new hardware would operate off of the same operating system as the old. Then I'd go and update or re-install the drivers to match the new machine. The old machine has two 40 gig drives, & the new one has one 120 gig drive. I actually have lots of space left on the second drive so I really dont need the new drive. Most of the working data is on the server anyway. All of the other workstations have 30 gig drives with maybe 15 gigs free.

Johnny T. All the CDs are legal. Problem is that it'll be a pain in the butt to go out and collect all new ones, and I'd like to make the move this weekend as I'm getting a new office also.

Mike if that is the case just put the old drive in and set it as master, have your XP CD ready to re-install if needed. MAKE SURE you DO NOT use a RESTORE CD.

Mike

The theory of what you are going to do is a sound one...

Although I can't help thinking I'm glad I'm not you :)

I think you are going to have a busy weekend with at least one or two violent outbursts...

Good luck mate :)

elevmike said:
It seems the English had a "special" way of dealing with "disrupters".

We sure do....

Give 'em a nice big house (paid for by state)

Give 'em plenty of money (again, paid for by the state)

Give 'em free treatment on the NHS regardles of cost (again, paid for by the state)

Let them spout whatever anti-British bile they like

Then we go and give them a British passport!!

Paul

Paul,

The key word is HAD..

I used to watch Lou Dobbs on CNN, but cant anymore because he keeps pointing out all the stupid stuff like that, that our gov is doing, (shipping jobs overseas, & giving illegals gov sponsered home loans etc..). It ruins my dinner, then I cant sleep at night..... Stop watching the news... Ignorance is bliss.