PV+ Rio Comms to a PLC/5 Help Please

Coops

Hi,

I have a PLC 5/30 and a Panelview Plus 1000.
Im using Channel 1B for RIO communications.
The Panelview Plus 1000 has replaced a Panelview 1400 and therefore after a few migration problems has been converted.
The original PB32 software comms setup was:
Protocol: RIO
Type: 5/30
Name: PLC_RIO
Rack: 1
All modules ticked
Baud: 57,600

BT Settings:
n15:0 - R - 50
n15:50 - W - 50

And thats it, the PLC seems to be setup correctly but im having great problems in setting up the comms using RSView Machine Edition.

So far i've added RIO driver and a rack which is set to PLC5/30. The rack no is : 01 with all modules ticked. I've then added Block Transfers.

BT1 Read: Rack 1, Group/slot 0/0 - Read, Size 50
BT2 Write: Rack 1, Group/slot 0/1, Write, Size 50

Not sure if i need to setup alias or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried switching your blue and clear wires on the back of your PV. I have had this issue before when I ran a daisey chain from a PV 1000 to a PV 1500 and was told by tech support to switch the blue and clear wires. This took care of my issue.

Are you having trouble understanding the communications configuration in the RSView Studio software, or are you having trouble establishing and maintaining communications between the PanelView Plus and the PLC-5 controller ?

RIO is one of the trickiest protocols to learn PV+ with, so if this is your first PV+ project take solace in the fact that you'll be a rugged veteran when you're done, ready to take on Ethernet and DH+ without flinching.

You have the basics down, by creating a RIO Rack Adapter object and creating Block Transfers associated with it.

There are four more steps before you can test live communications:

1. Create an RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut that points to the "RIO Data" object.

2. Copy the shortcut and configuration schema from the Local tab to the Target tab in RSLinx Enterprise.

3. Create a simple test project with just one numeric display or pushbutton addressed to one of the block transfer elements. Sample connection syntax for the first word of the first block transfer: {[SHORTCUT]B1 0}

4. Create an RSView ME Runtime, transfer it to the terminal using Ethernet or a CompactFlash card, and run it.

Post more details about exactly what you don't understand or isn't working. I've recently been doing some RIO PV+ testing.

Maybe its an addressing issue then....as you have stated to address them like this
{[SHORTCUT]B1 0}
while I have addressed them like this
::[SHORTCUT]N15:51

So I will setup a quick test project with the above addressing and see how it goes.

Cheers so far guys

One other problem is when I apply the port settings to the PLC5 system for the RIO (Channel 1B) i get this error msg:
Apply Port Failed: Ext Sts=0x12
Invalid Parameter in Command

Any ideas?

Coops said:
Maybe its an addressing issue then....as you have stated to address them like this
{[SHORTCUT]B1 0}
while I have addressed them like this
::[SHORTCUT]N15:51

So I will setup a quick test project with the above addressing and see how it goes.

Cheers so far guys

should it be like this
::{[SHORTCUT]N15:51}

Right fixed the PLC port problem but ive noticed that when my app starts up on the PV+ im getting an error msg:
PKTX: StartupThread() detected a hardware problem (ERROR:0x00000001)

This cant be good. :(

Remain calm. Breathe deeply.

First, about addressing in the PV+ project. If you were using Ethernet or DH+ or any other network that allowed direct acccess to the PLC-5 data table, then you would use the {::[Shortcut]N15:0} syntax. The double-colon :: indicates to RSView that there's a PLC/SLC type address, and the address itself is the PLC/SLC data table location.

But because this is a RIO application, the PanelView only knows about the small I/O table and about the Block Transfers. The PanelView knows Block Number and Offset, that's all. Even though on the PLC-5 side you have instructions that block transfer data into various N-file memory locations, the PanelView and RSView Studio have no way of knowing where those memory locations are.

To address Block Transfer data areas, you use the Block Number (B1, B2, B3, B4...), a space, and the word/bit offset. There's no double-colon when addressing block transfer data.

{[Shortcut]B1 12/5} is Block Transfer 1, word 12, bit 5.

To keep things interesting, you do use the double-colon prefix and a PLC-5 I/O address when you are addressing the discrete I/O being connected between the PanelView Plus and the PLC-5. If you configure the PV+ as a "full rack" of 8 Words Input and 8 Words Output, but you only do Block Transfers to "Group 0, Slot 0", you have 7 1/2 other available Input and Output Word data addresses you can use.

{::[Shortcut]I:012/5} is an address for PLC-5 Input data element Rack 01, Group 2, bit 5.

Next, about the PKTX driver. Remember I said that RIO is the hardest protocol on PV+ to learn on ?

You have to configure a 2711P-RN6 driver in the Local tab so that you have an RSLinx Enterprise object that can be browsed by the Tag Browser. But your development PC doesn't actually contain a 2711P-RN6, or its cousin the 1784-PKTX card. So the RSLinx Enterprise driver necessarily tries to start up a local 1784-PKTX, can't find it, and shows you a local error.

Even if you did have a 1784-PKTX installed, RSView Studio doesn't support test runtime of the RIO Adapter service. I'm not even sure if it supports actual runtime of the RIO Adapter service.

So, go ahead and create a test program like I described, using Block Transfer addressing for just one indicator and pushbutton, get it loaded onto the PV+, and give it a whirl.

That answer is 10000 times better than the flipping rockwell support call back i had that kept reffering me to there online knowledge base.

Thanks, I shall give it a whirl and let you know.

Cheers
Paul

ITS WORKING, cheers for the help.

Ok this is what I was doing wrong:
when you use a tag without a symbol in the database it gives it the address {[SHORTCUT]B1 0} which works fine but when I was adding a symbol and using the same address it did not work until I got rid of the brackets i.e
[SHORTCUT]B1 0
Thats the only way i could get it to work using the tag database.

Thanks for all your help

Coops

OK i have one more question,lol.

The BTW/BTR is working fine with just one of each in the program, but im really struggling to add another. The existing program I got uses 9 of them in total, 3 read & 4 write. The group no's and module no's in the plc are all the same....is this correct? Well its working like it with the old AB PV so it must be.

If i have a BTW of 64 and a BTR of 64 then these go in the PV+ with no problems but when i add another block of 64 it seems to write to the first set of values (constant battle between the two blocks to write to the same area). The data file locations are unique in the processor with no overlaps but i think my problem is again with the PV and not fully understanding BT.

So, my understanding is.....
In the PLC I program....
BTW - N15:50 L50
BTR - N15:0 L50
BTW - N15:100 L51

And in the PV+ i program
BT#1 - Write Rack:6 Group:0/0 Size:50 (WORKS)
BT#2 - Read Rack:6 Group:0/0 Size:50 (WORKS)
BT#3 - Write Rack:6 Group:0/1 Size:51 (Dont work, seems to write to BT#1)

Hope u can help me out, been doing my head in now for a week.

Thanks

With PV+, the block transfer Read and Write instructions addressed to a particular Rack/Group/Slot must be the same size (i.e. 64/64 or 50/50 as you have done).

Only one block transfer Read and one block transfer Write can be addressed to each R/G/S on the PV+ adapter.

I don't remember if the PV Standard or PV Classic could distinguish between Block Transfers by their size, so that all could be addressed to the same R/G/S. I know I've done that with 1771-SDN and other large-capacity block transfer devices.

So far it sounds like you're doing it right; I can't explain why the second BTW (size 51) appears to write to the same "B1" tags as the first one.

Can you post your *.RSP program and *.APA archive ?

With the PV standard, each BTW had to be a unique size, and each BTR had to be a unique size. This is apparently how the panelview was able to determine which block was assigned to each group of tags.

I don't know much about the PV+ yet, but I suspect it needs some way to distinguish the blocks from each other, and like the older units, it may use the size of the transfer to make that determination.

So, try changing your added BTW to 63 words instead of 64, or some other value other than an already existing BTW.

I just disassembled my testbed here with a PV+1500 and 2711P-RN6 module and a PLC-5/40 controller.

The PanelView was configured as a 1/4 Rack, starting with Rack 01, Group 00.

The block transfers I had running to it were addressed as follows:

B1 R/G/S = 1/0/0 Size 64 Read
B2 R/G/S = 1/0/0 Size 64 Write
B3 R/G/S = 1/0/1 Size 64 Read
B4 R/G/S = 1/0/1 Size 64 Write
B5 R/G/S = 1/1/0 Size 64 Read
B6 R/G/S = 1/1/0 Size 64 Write
B7 R/G/S = 1/1/1 Size 64 Read
B4 R/G/S = 1/1/1 Size 64 Write

What I did was alternate B1 and B2, then every time I executed both of them I also executed one each of the others. The performance (with nothing but a test program running) got me about 250 ms updates for the first two BTs, and about 800 ms updates for each of the others (because they were taking turns).