PV+ Rio Comms to a PLC/5 Help Please

Okay, I mis-read your other post...

With a PV+ the BTW size MUST be the same size?

EDIT: THanks, Ken, you said it right the first time, my brain just read what it expected to hear...

Sorry for giving poor advice...

Last edited:
Attached is the PLC-5 code I was using to run the block transfers, along with an XML file that you can Import into the RSLinx Enterprise RIO configuration that shows the BT configuration I was using.

I'll try to be more clear. Sometimes the nomenclature trips me up.

With the PV+ 2711P-RN6 RIO Adapter:

There can be only one Read and one Write block transfer to each R/G/S address.

The Read and Write to a given R/G/S address must be the same size.

The Read and Write to a given R/G/S address may be any size up to 64 Words.

Thanks for all the information but still no joy for the bigger picture. It just wont seem to let me address the slot/group properly.

Attached is an image of the existing BTR/BTW's in Panelbuilder32 and the xml file for RS Enterprise. When it gets imported it basically only allows 4 modules to be addressed correctly. The rest it doesnt like at all.

OK ITS ALL WORKING NOW!

The problem it seemed was with the PLC5! The existing PLC5 program that currently communicates to an old PV ove RIO didnt have the Group/Modules changed...they were all set to zero and this seems to work fine with the older PV's BUT put a new one on and it goes nuts. So a quick change in the plc to the BTR's/BTW's to include there new Group/module no's and voila.

Thanks guys, it seems like i've done a diploma in RIO now!!

Pls help

o_O I have been trying to convert a panelview1400e application to PVplus1500 which is in RIO to a PLC-5. Baud rate is 115000 and there are few block transfer instructions. Conversion and the connections has been correct and am getting some result right with the same. Some special problem appears with this now.

With the previous Panelview1400e the number of BTW transactions were around 120/minute. With the new PVPlus there are lot of errors in the BTW/BTR instructions and due to which the number of instructions executed is around 15/minute which makes the response of the PVPlus very slow. Machine responds very late to a command from the PLPlus and the status indications appear after a long time. Has anyone faced this problem before???
Som...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information but still no joy for the bigger picture. It just wont seem to let me address the slot/group properly.

Attached is an image of the existing BTR/BTW's in Panelbuilder32 and the xml file for RS Enterprise. When it gets imported it basically only allows 4 modules to be addressed correctly. The rest it doesnt like at all.
coops

Im having the same issue as you described. I got your image of the PV BT setup, can you post the BTW / BTR PLC 5 code or Pic of code?? Thanks

I have an old panel view plus 1500 3.4 firmware. On the back was a 2711p-rn6 module. I upgraded the firmware to 5.14 and been trying to get the module to be recognized, I have done the RS enterprise config, upload to the panel, but no luck in the module being recognized. I have try all avenues on trying to be recognized, with no luck.

Also the module is a combo with dh485, and also it says DH+ RIO, is this a RIO only or can it be config for a DH+. Talking to a PLC5 5/60 processor on RIO

I can do the AB 1000 and 1000e with no problems, both dh+ and RIO, starting to learn the panel view plus series. Ethernet and serial has been no problem.

Ideally, you should create a new thread that is specific to your issue.

Please be very specific with the firmware revisions; there are revisions with numbers similar to the ones you cited, but a spare zero or decimal point here and there can make a very big difference.

I strongly recommend version 5.10.03 firmware for the terminal. In my experience that revision is the most stable with PCI expansion cards.

The 2711P-RN6 module can be used for DH485, DH+, or RIO. Download and read the Installation Instructions to learn how to connect each protocol.

What exactly do you mean by "could not get the module recognized" ?

You need to post an archive (*.APA) of your project file as well as a description or copy of your PLC-5 program file in order to have it examined by Forum members who are familiar with the products and the technology. If you were getting help from Rockwell Automation Technical Support you would need to do the same things.

There's a very good Knowledgbase technote about the minimum configuration necessary in the PV+ to get a terminal to respond to an Autoconfigure from the PLC-5 on RIO. That's what I use when I'm testing PLC-5 wiring connectivity on RIO.