Rslogix 5000 old versions in a winXP VM, Factorytalk Activation Manager on VM Host

idiotsecant

Hello all,

I have the misfortune of needing to support some old firmware version 1756 controllogix machines in rslogix 5000, as well as some new versions in studio 5000. I have a concurrent license so I was thinking my strategy would be installing a 'windows XP mode' VM in hyper-v in a windows 10 64-bit host, with the VM host acting as factorytalk activation manager server and the VM guest running a factorytalk activation manager client.

I did that, and installed versions 10, 11, and 17 (in that order) along with rslinx as it didn't install on it's own with those versions. When I open factorytalk activation client on the VM, I am able to see the factorytalk activation manager running on the VM host, and the RSLinx license appears to check out, but it doesn't seem to be able to check out a license for RSLogix.

Has anyone run into this before? I called allen Bradley but the moment I mentioned a VM they started getting really itchy and looking for a good exit strategy from the call, which is what I expected but I had to give it a shot!

I searched the forums and I don't think anyone had this exact issue before, I'm a little stumped. I know people have gotten this config working before, just not sure how they did it!

Capture.jpg

I agree 100% with using a VM, but I've always used VMWare, never Hyper-V. In VMWare, I just install FT Activation Manager on the host and guest and point the guest install to the host via a host-only network and it "just works". It doesn't really "borrow" the license until you open the software.

Yes, I should clarify this screenshot is with rslogix open. It tells me I am in grace period. It's like it doesn't seem the available license as applicable. It recognizes it as some sort of generic license on the vm guest

That looks like an older version of FTAM on the XP image (your blue background screen). Try updating that version to the latest XP-compatible and try again?

Windows Firewall(s) blocking some required port(s)?

We did this where i used to work, but i was not the one who set it up.
my co worker had to try things for several days before he got it to work.
try this.
on your hyper v server, find the location of the activation files.
your factory talk activation server should point to the location.

on the client, run the activation manager and then point it to the hyper v license location.
you may need to give the laptop access on the hyper v server.
james

Is it possible to install factory talk activation manager independent of the rslogix versions installed? I guess I didn't realize that! I will give it a shot.

I am running V10, 16, 19, and 20 on an XP VM using VMWare. This was originally an XP Mode that I converted to run on VMWare on Windows 7. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I was no longer able to use XP Mode and had to apply a real license to get it to work. With that said, on XP my activation manager is version 3.62.11 and I don't have problems grabbing licenses from my host, Win 11 running activation manager 4.06.13.

FWIW, I am also running those on a Win 10 VM. The only version I had issues getting to run in Win 10 was V10. It would fault immediately upon opening. I downloaded the latest version from PCDC and I have had no issues using it since. I am currently running V 10.07.00. It grabs both the Logix license and the Multi Language license without a problem. I don't remember if I had to run the Windows Firewall Configuration Utility to make any of this work or not, but I do know I have run it on all of my VMs. This should be a part of the FactoryTalk Tools.

Small update on this: I was previously using version 5 of factorytalk activation manager on the Win 10 host, so given MikeyN's experience (Thanks MikeyN!) I thought I might have some luck if I use those exact versions - Version 4.06.13 on the Win 10 VM host and Version 3.62.11 on the XP Mode VM guest. I've attached some screenshots below. I seem to be getting the same symptoms - One of the activations (Rslinx Professional) seems to make it through, but my activations for rslogix don't seem to make it through.

I am scratching my head. Anyone have any ideas? Rockwell support is useless on this one, unfortunately.

Attachments

• Capture_Guest.PNG
    Capture_Guest.PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Capture_Host.PNG
    Capture_Host.PNG
    268.7 KB · Views: 14
Don't quote me on this, but the problem could be that your licenses are for product version 36. My product versions all show N/A now. I had my FactoryTalk View Studio license automatically update itself to V12 on me, and I was no longer able to access that license in Windows XP. I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to downgrade the license to get access back on Windows XP, maybe through rehosting? I made sure to deselect the enable automatic renewals option after that so it didn't come back to bite me in the rear end. I think there may have been a TechConnect article on it, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: I am pretty sure I did have to rehost, and reactivate that license at an older version. ID: QA59471 | Access Levels: TechConnect, Toolkit This KB article walks you through how to activate your license for older versions, and even says your license needs to be at version 26.01 or legacy. I'm going to be honest. We have an active TechConnect contract so we don't really have to worry about versioning too much. If you don't have TechConnect, I don't know what functionality you will have selecting a different version for your license. Rockwell Support may have the answers if you tell them about this.

Last edited:
I will work on that MikeyN, thanks for the breadcrumb trail. This might be a dumb question, but if I select a legacy product version license and then want to use it to activate another VM running more modern versions such as 32 will that cause it to fail?

Also, if you feel like imparting some additional wisdom: How does the techconnect contract interact with versioning in factorytalk activation? I do have an active techconnect contract but I am not putting 2 and 2 together on how that might impact my issue.

I always use a utility to make my VMs have the same disk ID so I can just create one offline license file and move it around to VMs without worry about network or internet access.

The new licensing schema has me all kinds of confused. We purchased our licenses long before they had legacy editions, or subscription based models for licenses. I think when I rehosted last time, I made sure to select V26 as it allowed us to still run all the way back to V10, but still works up to V35 which is the latest I have installed. ID: QA58774 | Access Levels: Everyone has more information regarding the licenses for legacy products. The only reason I brought up TechConnect is because our agreement allows us to use every new major release when they are available. I don't know if this is because of our license or not. To be honest, it has always just kind of worked for us.

I think you've hit on something there MikeyN, This license is brand new, I just bought it to build this VM setup. I think I have a codemeter-only license. It sounds like I can contact rockwell maybe and see what options I have to get a flexera-based 'legacy' license. What a pain. I will add to this thread when I find a solution.