Sending e-mails from a CompactLogix.

In my opinion, sending emails this way is a lot of trouble and additional programming when you could just use a 3rd party solution that's designed to do this with minimal setup. I guess if you wanted to send only one email for one event it wouldn't be a big deal.

In my opinion, sending emails this way is a lot of trouble and additional programming when you could just use a 3rd party solution that's designed to do this with minimal setup. I guess if you wanted to send only one email for one event it wouldn't be a big deal.

The additional programming is not a big deal. I wish this functionality worked as smooth as with the Red Lion HMI. In addition to that, if I have a problem with Red Lion, I can call/e-mail them for free.
Yes, I only want to send an e-mail when an specific alarms happens.
What third party solution you recommend?

Have used Red Lion and Spectrum Webport, although for just email it might be more than you want to spend. We use them for email, web server, and remote access.

Have used Red Lion and Spectrum Webport, although for just email it might be more than you want to spend. We use them for email, web server, and remote access.
I'm covered because I can use the Red Lion, but I would like to make this CompactLogix work as expected.

"Unable to connect to SMTP" is not complete string, but this is clear indication that controller can't reach server.

I just wanted to see if I was missing something, in the message configuration especially. I used the sample code from the manual.
I used sample code from the knowledgebase technote 30937
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30937

BTW, most of webinar examples will be based on this technote.

I'm covered because I can use the Red Lion, but I would like to make this CompactLogix work as expected.

Would be nice if CompactLogix had embedded web server like the ML1400 and also the SLC505. Sometimes it's hard to understand why AB omits functionality.

"Unable to connect to SMTP" is not complete string, but this is clear indication that controller can't reach server.
OK, but I wonder why. I have another device connected to the same switch that manages to connect. I also get connection to the email server when I execute telnet (port 25) from the computer that is connected to the same switch.

I used sample code from the knowledgebase technote 30937
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30937
I tried to used the sample code, but I don't have those old RSLogix versions activated on my PC (I have a 64 bit machine and the RSLogix version in the sample code is 13).

I tried to used the sample code, but I don't have those old RSLogix versions activated on my PC (I have a 64 bit machine and the RSLogix version in the sample code is 13).
Not sure why you can't install v13?
V13-V20 work fine in Windows 7 64 bit
I will convert sample code for you to V20 on Monday.

I have another device connected to the same switch that manages to connect.
Do wireshark traffic capture to see what logix is sending out and what comes back from the server. Post it here, I will take a look. Also post screenshot of the logix ethernet port config from RSlinx.

Not sure why you can't install v13?
V13-V20 work fine in Windows 7 64 bit
In my experience, RSLogix 5000 + Windows <> XP + 64 bit is not a good ****tail, at least with older versions of RSLogix. In addition to that, I haven't had the need of Version 13 till now.

I will convert sample code for you to V20 on Monday.
Thank you!

Do wireshark traffic capture to see what logix is sending out and what comes back from the server. Post it here, I will take a look.
I'm new with Wireshark. Which filters should I use?
Thank you for your offer of looking at it!

Also post screenshot of the logix ethernet port config from RSlinx.
Attached.

e_mail_05.jpg

That primary name server does not look right,
Are you addressing SMTP server by name or by IP address?

In any case, this is a first thing I would try to correct

Do not put any filters in wireshark, you will need a managed switch with port mirror enabled.

Attached v20 file is the same as v13 in the technote, except:
- controller changed to L33ER v20
- path in both messages corrected

That primary name server does not look right,
It's the Google Public DNS. It works with my HMI sending e-mails.
Are you addressing SMTP server by name or by IP address?
By name.

Do not put any filters in wireshark, you will need a managed switch with port mirror enabled.
I don't have a managed switch with me. I will see what can I do about it.

Attached v20 file is the same as v13 in the technote, except:
- controller changed to L33ER v20
- path in both messages corrected
Thank you! I tried with this code with no success...

You can't use google as SMTP server, logix does not support SSL conenction (port 465) and authentification

You need a local unsecured SMTP server.

Also Name server is not SMTP server, it must be you own address address. Usually DHCP gives you all addresses you need.

You can't use google as SMTP server, logix does not support SSL conenction (port 465) and authentification
I am not using Google as SMTP server but as DNS Server.

You need a local unsecured SMTP server.
Well, maybe this is the piece of info I needed. The SMTP service I'm using (jangosmtp), requires authentication. I didn't find any mention to it in the documentation I've read, but this can be the reason for the problem.

Also Name server is not SMTP server
I know. I guess you misread my statement?: "It's the Google Public DNS."

I am not sure why you would use GOOGLE DNS server instead of your local one provided by your company or ISP?

With Google DNS server, are you saying that google DNS server knows IP address of your SMTP server?
It does not look like it does.
Try to access it by IP address instead of name.

If SMTP server rejected request because of authentication, then it will be a different error code and destination tag will have a clear message saying that.