Tech writer

rworley

Need a simple definition of what a PLC is and what it does. Need info to use in intro to proposals.

Thanks

You're asking for a world of hurt asking a question like this, especially when you can click the Learn PLCs at the top of the screen and chapter 1 is 'What is a PLC.'

As far as what it does, that is only limited by our imagainations.

a plc does whatever you tell it to do, just like your home pc. it helps people make misteaks faster.

<sigh>
From the ADC forum:
Greets all.
I am student just getting started and looking for some direction. I bought a DL205 with a 4 channel anaglog input, a 2 channel analog output, and a counter. I am looking for a website or book with example code or tutorials on how to program this thing.
Thanks in advance for the help!

I suggested he get the manual......

I like that "Outback" idea.

The last good steak a vendor bought me was at "Outback"

The nearest "outback" is 60 miles away, oh well. Will settle for a peanut butter sandwich.

Now, since I have some extra time 'cuase I ain't going out for "Mi steak", /i think I'll write a couple of traffic light programs.

TO rworley...

You need to sign up for a plc class. There, the instructor will give you several asignments, then you can come back here, and post questions. You, will likely be told to look in the Learn PLC's section, or the "Search" section. Basically, you should go back to the instructor and ask him why he hasn't instructed you. Since my duaghter's college is $1,500 a semester, Phil's tape, (SEE ABOVE), is a bargain,since with it you can actually learn something!

regards.....casey

Last edited:
The name says Tech Writer, not sure how someone can be that without having the knowledge of or knowing how to get info on plcs. Of course this site is about PLCS, the question is simple and straightforward. I will assume by the name that it is NOT a student so will offer this info, if it is a student the name was clever enough for me.
http://www.plcs.net/chapters/whatis1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsecure/html/101basics/Module24/Output/

http://www.barn.org/FILES/historyofplc.html/

RON:

You have to have experience in what you are writing about?

Seriously, I get calls from head hunters who don't want to take to people unless their last project is EXACTLY like the position they are trying to fill. Recruiters gotta be the worst. To them, a tech writer may be a tech writer may be.....

Today, I taked to several recruiters, explaining to the about plc's, programming, etc.

The one I couldn't do anything about, was the one that wanted someone with Autocad schematics and Autocad "Orange" experience.

Whoooo Boy!

regards.....casey

Last edited:
The one I couldn't do anything about, was the one that wanted someone with Autocad schematics and Autocad "Orange" experience.

I can understand the schematics part, many employers want someone that can do everything. Design the system, build the panels, program and de-bug, all for one salary.

However, my question is what the heck is Autocad Orange ? Never heard that one before.