VMWare, RSLinx and USB cable.

How do you expect to have a functional, late revision RSLinx utility without the installed FactoryTalk Services Platform?!...Do you really think this is a user choice?!...:unsure:
Attempting to upgrade firmware on a CPU which costs at least $1600.00 using a non-supported (albeit free!) virtual environment operating system could "brick" your device; of course you could try it, just make sure to keep a "spare" at hand...:D

How do you expect to have a functional, late revision RSLinx utility without the installed FactoryTalk Services Platform?!...Do you really think this is a user choice?!...:unsure:
Obviously I am not Rockell Software savvy as you.:confused:. Unless "FactoryTalk Services Platform" is with a different name under "Rockwell Software", I don't have it installed even where RSLogix 5000 and other Rockwell software is installed (on the Guest, for example),. I have several entries for Factory Talk (like Activation, Gateway, etc.) but no "Services Platform". Excuse my ignorance.
Attempting to upgrade firmware on a CPU which costs at least $1600.00 using a non-supported (albeit free!) virtual environment operating system could "brick" your device; of course you could try it, just make sure to keep a "spare" at hand...:D
Free is not always bad. Anyway, I will remember your advice and will try to download the firmware always from real machines and not from virtual ones.
Thank you for all your ideas!

One note...AB/RA products "virtualization" is supported for WMware Workstation virtual OSs only...WMware "Player" is not supported since it is not quite a Virtual Machine...Last time I have checked, a VMware Workstation license runs less than $200...I strongly suggest that you invest in it and use it for any RA Virtual Machines...
If the CompactLogix 5730 CPU is in out-of-the-box condition, it is BOOTP/DHCP Enabled; if this is true, you should be able to Disable the BOOTP/DHCP state while setting a Static IP Address for the CPU Ethernet port and then connect the ControlFlash software to it using EtherNet/IP; this will require though a proper RSLinx installation since the BOOTP Server tool required by the aforementioned procedure is part of the RSLinx install package.
Now about the USB issue...
Prior to the installation of RSLinx 3.60, have you installed the FactoryTalk Services Platform V2.60.00(CPR9 SR6)?
Did any of the installs return any error prompts?
Have you installed RSLinx in "Silent" mode?(running in the background).
If so, the entire driver package will need to be manually installed from within

\Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\KN64Bit\DriverPkgx64

Please read carefully and comply with RSLinx 3.60 Release Notes- http://netstorage.rockwellautomatio...n=1386339046_d62d313c7d30422990770cd98bffaa0e

RSLinx installs (even the Lite ones) should be very carefully approached and any "irregularity" prompt should be immediately back-tracked and corrected.

That's not quite correct. The only difference between Workstation, Player and Player Plus is the features that are available to you. The hypervisior is the same and that's what counts when running a VM.

With that being said the features you get with workstation are well worth the money and very useful in this line of work but for a multi engineer shop you can do with 1 license of workstation and several player plus licenses. Standard free player is now licensed for personal only and non commercial use.