WW Intouch issue

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, im having the following problem:

I have PC-1 which comunicates with a plc with archestra wonderware and works fine. I deployed this app from PC-1 to PC-2 and also works fine.

Now I have the following problem; these two PCs (PC-1 and PC-2) are in an independent network. Now I want to gather some data from PC-3 which is in another network with another range of IPs.

IPs:
PC-1 : 10.5.0.10
PC-2 : 10.5.0.8
PC-3 : 11.12.0.9

So what I tried was the following:

I added another nwtwork adapter to PC-2 and gave the ip adress 11.12.0.11

Then I tried to find the node PC-2 from PC-3 in the system managment console in PC-3 and i could find it. But when i clicked on it, nothing showed up, couldnt see the DASABCIP of PC-2 and none of its configurations..

I can ping 3 PCs from any of them..

What might be wrong ??

Thanks,

Are they on a domain? Otherwise you might need to configure the host file so it can resolve by name.

Thanks for answering, how is that? Could you explain me a bit more?
I mean im seeing both PC, and in the DAS i can find the other PC when i browse for the other node..

That about the host file, how is it done? And what does it has to do??

Thanks again rheindhart!!

Go to this file.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. you will see the host file. Edit in notepad and add the IPs and machine names in here.

It just has to do with resolving the name of the target PC.

Use the 11.12.0.* range.

What are you trying to achieve. I assume your DAS is running on PC-2 and you want to run an intouch client on PC-3? Also ensure firewall is turned of on PCs.

Yes exactly! And this thing of the host file is has to be done in both PC? Or which one?

Why the ffirewallshould be dísable? In PC 1 and PC 2 it is enable and in those machines it is working intouch..

It could interfere, this is what wonderware recommends on all their system. Also if you have anti-virus you need to do exclusions. There are technotes available for this.

Yes i would edit the host file on both machines. This is only if they dont have DNS server to provide name resolution.

Also note that the 11.12.0.* IP address range is not a private IP range, and is currently in use by the US Department of Defence.

Don't ever plan to hook that device up to anything remotely connected to the internet. If you were say testing some software on your laptop, the DoD might wonder why you are trying to connect using wonderware protocol to their network.

the IP range 10.*.*.*, 172.16-31.*.* and 192.168.*.* are set aside for internal company networks.