PlantPAX AOI Default Text

BoilerUp

I have a customer that is requesting we add an addition alarm to a plantPAX base module object. When I added this new P_Alarm data type under the Device Module I am not able to set the default text for the alarm name. Now whenever I duplicate my base object (Ain for example) and go to the alarm tab I have my default alarms text is correct, and my new alarm is set to "Alarm Condition"(The default text for the base P_Alarm AOI). Does anyone know how I can set the default text of my P_Alarm for just the instance in my device module?

Please let me know if this doesn't make sense, and thanks again for any help!!

Dylan

Garry,

Thanks for your reply. I know the user could edit that field to update the alarm condition text but I am looking for a solution that would allow my customer to add a P_Ain instance and the P_Alarms text associated to that module would already be default.

Also remember this is for a new alarm that we added in. In the base plantPAX objects the alarm names within a device AOI will hold a default value such as "IO Fault", "Input Failure", etc. My new alarm that I created is holding the P_alarm definition default of "Alarm Condition". That is the text I am trying to set.

Thanks!

Dylan

How to change default text for Alarm within a PlantPAx AOI

All,

Had a customer who wanted to add a new alarm to P_DIn and was wondering the same thing: How do I change the default text for that new alarm from "Alarm Condition" to something useful, without modifying ALL the alarms!

Here's the procedure:

1. Go to the P_Din Add-On Instruction in the controller organizer;
click the “+” sign to expand.
2. Double-click the Logic routine to open it.
3. Scroll to the P_Alarm instruction instance in the Logic routine.
(For the unmodified P_Din "TgtDisagree" alarm,
this is Rung 22 in the Logic routine.
a. NOTE: There is also an instance of P_Alarm, with the same backing
tag, in the EnableInFalse routine, rung 21!!!
4. Right-click on any element of the P_Alarm instruction (name, backing
tag) and select “Open Instruction Logic”
a. P_Alarm Logic routine opens. NOTE THE DATA CONTEXT in the upper
right corner of the window. You will be in the context of the P_Alarm
INSTANCE within the P_DIn DEFINITION!!!
5. Go to the first “LOWER” instruction on Rung 0. The bottom operand
is the string Cfg_Cond. Its value is the DEFAULT value USED TO
CREATE NEW INSTANCES OF P_Din.
6. Change the text of this string.
7. Any NEW instances of P_Din will be created with this new text as the
default for that instance of P_Alarm.

DO NOT do this by changing the default text of the P_Alarm DEFINTION.
You need to be in the context of the P_Alarm INSTANCE within the P_Din
DEFINITION!!!

If you go to the P_Alarm "Parameters and Local Tags", you will notice that
the data context selector has items for the DEFINITION and for all the
INSTANCE of P_Alarm in INSTANCES instructions (like P_AIn and P_DIn)
that have alarms. But this list does NOT have the P_Alarm INSTANCES in
the DEFINITIONS of AOIs that use it!!! Hence the procedure above.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
That is exactly the answer I was looking for!! There is a reason why I usually come here when tech support fails me!!

Thanks a ton!!

That is exactly the answer I was looking for!! There is a reason why I usually come here when tech support fails me!!

Thanks a ton!!

Hey, you're welcome!

I copied and tweaked that info from a very recent e-mail I sent Tech Support in response to a customer case, so they may have it as a KB article very soon (if not already). Also try the Logix board on the Rockwell Automation forums. I'm sorry I haven't been monitoring that much lately -- need to get back in the habit.