3-Position keyed selector switch

MannyH

I am implementing a project using a Do-More PLC from AutomationDirect.com (Koyo manufactured) and one feature that we are tying to incorporate is a mode-selection. There would be a 3-position selector switch with a key that has three modes: Manual, Auto, and Off. "Manual" and "Auto" would go as inputs into the PLC, and "Off" would potentially energize a relay that switches off the 24VDC power to an actuator. The problem is that every single 3-position key-switch that i have found only has two positions that can be shorted to common, with the third position (usually the center) not being connected to anything. Does anybody know of a 3-position key-switch that actually allows the common terminal to be shorted to three different selections? To further illustrate my point I have drawn up a quick schematic of what I am looking for. Thanks!

Capture.jpg

Why not parallel off your #1 and #3 contacts to the relay coil, and run the actuator through the NO contacts instead of NC? Then you'd have power to the actuator with the switch in the left or right position, but not in 'Off'.

Why not parallel off your #1 and #3 contacts to the relay coil, and run the actuator through the NO contacts instead of NC? Then you'd have power to the actuator with the switch in the left or right position, but not in 'Off'.

He'd have to add 2 more relays to keep from tying his 2 inputs together, or have a second set of contacts on each side of the switch

You might try C3 Controls cam switches. They have a key operator and their "multi-step" configuration should do what you want.

He'd have to add 2 more relays to keep from tying his 2 inputs together, or have a second set of contacts on each side of the switch
Yeah good point. Putting extra contacts on the switch as you suggested would probably be the simplest solution.

Most NEMA rated selector switches let you add contact blocks in a second row, and many a third row. Here is an example: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...luminated_-a-_Non-Illuminated/LED/GCX1265-24L

If you can't figure out an arrangement on your own I suggest you contact tech support at AutomationDirect for help or contact your local Allen Bradley or Eaton or Schneider distributor.

When I used to do things like this I would use one row of contacts for the hardwired circuits and one for the PLC. If it wasn't in manual or auto then the PLC logic indicated it was in off.

Last edited:
Energizing a relay, in the off position, to kill an actuator isn't best practice to say the least. Would be better to switch the relay on in auto or manual with contact blocks in parallel IF the application doesn't require a real safety circuit.

Then just stack contacts for the plc inputs. Or you could take one input off the relay and just use a switch contact for auto.