SLC 500 5/05 - Does anyone have one to sell.

Automater

Hello.

I am not sure if I can post this here but I am making some software with Advanced HMI, which is great.

However, I am using a 5/04 CPU which has a maximum baud rate of 38400bps. Which is 0.0384 Megabit. This can be really slow as I am using a touch screen etc.

I would like to get a 5/05 CPU. Does anyone have any to sell. I would really appreciate.:geek::geek:

As I have a lot of SLC 500 input / output cards etc. It would be better for me to buy a 5/05.

However, they are quite pricey.

Please let me know if anyone has one cheaper and I can give my 03 + cash.

Please note, this is all for education as I am a software programmer.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Quick thing please.

I noticed that the SL 500 Processor units have a daughter board (with the serial/ethernet). Are they interchangeable between 04/05 CPU's. Thank you.

As a student exercise before you spend the money for the 5/05, optimize the data exchanged between the HMI and the PLC by grouping it all in a single memory file. You will be surprised by how much faster serial communications can be when you do so.

As a student exercise before you spend the money for the 5/05, optimize the data exchanged between the HMI and the PLC by grouping it all in a single memory file. You will be surprised by how much faster serial communications can be when you do so.

Ahh, sorry. I failed to explain. I an using Advanced HMI (http://www.advancedhmi.com/) which is using .NET and communicates via Ethernet or Serial port.

That is why I would need the 10MBIT connected as 38400 Baud is to slow.

Thank you

To elaborate on Steve's suggestion... consider if you have a page with 2 BasicLabels showing values from N7:0 and N10:0. In order to retrieve those values, it will require 2 separate data requests over the communication link. Using serial, you may get an average round trip (request to reply) of about 50ms. With the 2 values, it will require 100ms to refresh the screen values. Now scale that to 10 values scattered about data tables and you now have a screen refresh of 500ms.

Now consider what happens if your 2 values were N7:0 and N7:1. The communication driver will group those 2 values into a single read which will still only take about 50ms. Now your screen refreshes every 50ms. Once again scale that to 10 values using the range N7:0-N7:9. Your round trip for those 10 values will be 50ms, maybe a few ms more. So now a screen of 10 values will refresh in 50ms as opposed to 500ms just by merely modifying the PLC program to use consecutive data values.

Last edited:
How do you suppose people got along with serial communications between PLCs and HMIs before Ethernet became affordable for small systems? You can pass a lot of data between the PLC and the HMI at 38400 baud if you put a little thought into organizing that data.

To elaborate on Steve's suggestion... consider if you have a page with 2 BasicLabels showing values from N7:0 and N10:0. In order to retrieve those values, it will require 2 separate data requests over the communication link. Using serial, you may get an average round trip (request to reply) of about 50ms. With the 2 values, it will require 100ms to refresh the screen values. Now scale that to 10 values scattered about data tables and you now have a screen refresh of 500ms.

Now consider what happens if your 2 values were N7:0 and N7:1. The communication driver will group those 2 values into a single read which will still only take about 50ms. Now your screen refreshes every 50ms. Once again scale that to 10 values using the range N7:0-N7:9. Your round trip for those 10 values will be 50ms, maybe a few ms more. So now a screen of 10 values will refresh in 50ms as opposed to 500ms just by merely modifying the PLC program to use consecutive data values.

Very good. I did not know that at all. That is great to know.

However if you have a large program and some of the calculations are done via a MYSQL database I think I would need the 5/05/

For example. I would need to get all the info from:

N7:0 - N7:10 > Query the Database, information undated to the web as well as some protocol actions that would change the values of N7:0 - N7:10.

38400 Baud, there could be some limitation with 120 inputs etc.

The SLC would have a fail safe of course if the database were to fail, but some very complex calculations would be done on the server under a VM

Again, I would love to get hold 5/05

By all means, try to find a 5/05. But when communications speed is a primary concern the same discipline in choosing the addresses included in your data exchange between the PLC and the HMI will serve you equally well when using Ethernet communications. I don't know a lot about how the 5/05 handles Ethernet communications, but I expect there is a limit on the number of transactions it can deal with during its communications window between program scans.
In Archie's example the data in N7:0 and N10:0 requires two transactions for the HMI to read their data. If the HMI must also write to the same address, that's another two transactions. Add in B3, I and O addresses and you can see how the communications overhead can quickly get out of hand.
The ladder logic required to copy data to and from consecutive N addresses will not substantially add to the PLC scan time compared to the communications overhead you'll incur if you don't do it.

By all means, try to find a 5/05. But when communications speed is a primary concern the same discipline in choosing the addresses included in your data exchange between the PLC and the HMI will serve you equally well when using Ethernet communications. I don't know a lot about how the 5/05 handles Ethernet communications, but I expect there is a limit on the number of transactions it can deal with during its communications window between program scans.
In Archie's example the data in N7:0 and N10:0 requires two transactions for the HMI to read their data. If the HMI must also write to the same address, that's another two transactions. Add in B3, I and O addresses and you can see how the communications overhead can quickly get out of hand.
The ladder logic required to copy data to and from consecutive N addresses will not substantially add to the PLC scan time compared to the communications overhead you'll incur if you don't do it.

This is a good point. Indeed, I shall look into it. Thank you.

Exactly how many I/O are you talking about?

Boy, Genius has those pretty cheap!
The price for a 551 at our supplier is $5,187.00. 553 is $6,099.60. Hot off the press!

I have a 553 on my desk w/mm that came out of a robot cell that ran for a few years before the company bellied up. The cell was sitting in a warehouse for many years from an auction. My customer bought it and I redid the cell for their needs with a ML1400.

We usually encourage new hardware where possible. The new 5380 controllers are pretty darn cheap. 5069-L306ER is under a grand and the 5069-L306ERM is a bit over $1,100.00. I/O module prices are pretty close to the 1762 modules. Takes up a lot less space in the panel as well.

Doing a small upgrade from an ML1500, ultra 3000, AMCI stepper and PV300. Originally had L27, K5500, VPL Servo, and G15C11 for the new hardware. Broke the seal on the L27 and two day's later went to some local tech training and they showed us the new 5380 stuff. Thought to myself, that looks pretty sweet, then informed the customer of this new hardware.

Yeah, broke the seal on the L27, but showed the customer the 5069-L310ERM. He said get that, so I did. He has it covered.

Was up in his office and said the new hardware is in, but instructed everyone at the shop not to touch this! He just smiled at me and said take your pocket knife and open the boxes.

I was sweating bullets because the last thing I need at this point is this broken seal L27 being deducted from my paycheck. My fish tanks don't have any servos! YET! There is a gravimetric feeder in the works, but can do that with a PF525. Ouch...

The 1747-L531 is on the end of life chopping block. Others in that platform will follow, as well as discontinued support for the programming software. Just like the PLC5, but there are a lot of SLC platforms out there.

The NEW 5069 stuff seems to be an answer from Rockwell (will be renamed from A-B to Rockwell, in the works) to replace the SLC platform on a much more advanced level, at a heck of a lot cheaper price.

What does this have to do with the OP's question? Not much, but you need to do due diligence and kinda keep up on things, the best you can.

The SLC platform is a really good one to learn with, so my original question about real I/O still stands.

Last edited:
Boy, Genius has those pretty cheap!
The price for a 551 at our supplier is $5,187.00. 553 is $6,099.60. FS New tho.

We have factory sealed also just scroll down, the L551 is 2,800 and the L553 is 3,800, most of our customers go for the used and take advantage of the price cut

Automater, you may also want to consider a 1747-AENTR, we will need Archie to chime in to see if he supports it and the speed that he supports

We have factory sealed also just scroll down, the L551 is 2,800 and the L553 is 3,800, most of our customers go for the used and take advantage of the price cut

Automater, you may also want to consider a 1747-AENTR, we will need Archie to chime in to see if he supports it and the speed that he supports

If you can buy at a reduced price, I would go for it.

Unfortunately, we won't buy out of our network if the product is still available. We need backup warranty to our customers.

Will buy in instances if not available, then play the gamble game.

Guy at work has a FS L80E. Was at our suppliers and the last one they sold was $64K. He better wake up before the party is over...