MicroLogix to CompactLogix communications

Tharon

Is it possible to have a MicroLogix 1400 read information from a CompactLogix address?

I've done it the other way many times. Reading the data tables of a MicroLogix plc with a CompactLogix, very simple.

But I'm looking through the MSG instruction in RSLogix 500, and am not sure which if any of these communications commands will work, or if I have to structure the data in the CompactLogix a certain way.

Edit: The plan is Ethernet communication, if that makes any difference

Thanks

Last edited:
You'll have to map some addresses in the Compactlogix to registers the 1400 can read and write to. In Logix/Studio 5000 this option is found under the "Communications" menu and does require a download.

Hope this will help you.

Somewhat, but that Step 3 "Target Device". The Data Table Address field (if it's a 500CPU Read that is used?). That's the part that wasn't very clear.

bjh said:
You'll have to map some addresses in the Compactlogix to registers the 1400 can read and write to. In Logix/Studio 5000 this option is found under the "Communications" menu and does require a download.

Ok, I think I found what you are getting at. Is it the "Map PLC/SLC Messages..." option under the Logic menu?

So I can just make the CompactLogix mimic a SLC and use a 500 Read/Write in the MicroLogix to those addresses?

So I can just make the CompactLogix mimic a SLC and use a 500 Read/Write in the MicroLogix to those addresses?

Yes. I like to use an array of INTs. Say you have an array called "Micro1400_Read" with a size of 256 mapped to the SLC 70 datafile. Then the ML1400 can do a message read of N70:0 and up which will map to Micro1400_Read[0], N70:1 will be Micro1400_Read[1] and so on.

Ok. I understand it now. Thanks.

One of those things where I didn't even know where to start looking. Didn't know about the PLC5/SLC Mapping function of the Compact/ControlLogix.