ASCII communication using Omron CS1

iknowsomeplc

For my application, I want to send and recieve custom ASCII characters through serial port. Can Omron CS1H PLC can do that ? ( Like user protocol in AB PLCs ). Is there any separate communication module I have to purchase? Any ideas?

Yes you can I believe the instructions SEND(090) CMND(490)and RECV(098) are used for that application.

Whoa,pardner! Those commands are for networks such as Ethernet and ControllerLink.

What you need for simple ASCII transmission from the CPU RS232 are the TXD-RXD instructions. See Link below:
TXD-RXD Quickstart Programs @ MrPLC.com

If you need to use an SCB/SCU module (Serial Comunication Board/Unit), then you need Protocol Macro software or a utility which will load pre-designed Protocol Macros. See Link below:
ASCII Generic Protocol Macro Object Code @ MrPLC.com

Protocol Macro Loader Utility @ MrPLC.com

Thanks mordred/Jay Anthony,

Need some more clarification. This is for adding a message display at minimal cost. So i don't wnat to buy extra module if base module can TXD and RXD ascii characters.

Do i need to buy extra communication module or can i use serial port in the base module itself?

Last edited:
CS1 PLCs can handle a lot of ASCII string manipulation.
As for sending/recieving the data, the instructions used to send and recieve data via the CS1 built in serial port are TXD and RXD.
These are used to send/recieve data in a 'no protocol' mode to/from an external device.
The instruction PMCR (Protocol Macro) can be used if a Serial communications board (or unit) is fitted. This instruction enables sequencing of data to and from the PLC using a user defined macro.

Do i need to buy extra communication module or can i use serial port in the base module itself?

No, you do not need to buy an extra communication module.
Yes, you can use TXD-RXD with the base serial port. Check out the Quick Start in the above link.