BOOT-P Socket connect error

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
This has been a repetitive thorn in my side when dealing with BOOT P.

Controller has been reset to factory default. I plug in my ethernet cable and open up BOOT-P. I see the query right away and assign the controller an IP address in the relation list. The IP address is in the same range as my laptop. When I try to disable BOOT-P, the connection times out and I get a socket connect error.

This happens on multiple laptops, on CLX processors and on SLCs. Sometimes if I open the controller properties AFTER assigning an IP address and then give it a description, it will then allow me to disable BOOT-P, but not always.

This is one of those times, I can't seem to get this damn thing to keep it's IP address. Does anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it?

Some additional details:

After assigning the IP address, the controller does NOT appear in Linx classic.

The full error message when I attempt to disable BOOTP is:
"Socket connect failed for [MAC ADDRESS]. (Connection refused).

After assigning an IP can you see the device in RSLinx (assuming AB)? If you can usually you can edit the network configuration.

Yeah it's AB hardware.

I don't see it in Linx after assigning the IP address. This is maddening because I had TWO SLCs that were reset to factory default. The first one I was able to assign an IP and disable BOOTP with no issues. The second one is giving me the socket connect error. I just did the last one 10 minutes ago from this same laptop...

Also, I have seen in other posts that Ken has blamed firewalls for this error, but I have my windows firewall and symantic firewalls both disabled. I never use them (best virus protection is knowing what you're clicking before you click it) because they usually just cause problems.