Thermocouple repeater/replicator

okiebob

I have a system that was using a Thermocouple to AB IXE Thermo Mod to a analog display (4 TC's and 4 meters). I believe that the TC to AB to Disp will / would bias the display due to a cold junction. What I am looking for is a add on or digi panel meter that will allow me to display temp AND send the un CHANGED signal to the IXE mod. One in two out . I have never seen the process in action but would like to avoid displaying a BOGUS signal when a few dollars will give the actual CORRECT display AND allow the PLC to do its thing. The RACK IS FULL so analog out to meter is NOT an option.

It's not a good idea to run a T/C signal directly to two devices. You have at least two better alternates. First, you could use an operator interface panel (Exor, A=B PanelView, many others) to display the values and just use the A-B T/C card. Second, you could use a digital display for the T/C with a 4-20 mA re-transmission signal and a 4-20 mA input sfor the PLC. (Red Lion, Omega Engineering, Newport, many others).

I'm going to assume you're using a 1791-IXE. These cards can accept a mv signal as well.

I think Tom is on the right track just instead of a 4-20ma use a mv signal since the rack is full, unless the resolution won't be there or the enviroment won't allow a mv signal to work well. If you're only using four channels then maybe a card swap is possible to get the 4-20ma.

How critical is the temp reading? We do have quite a few machines that have 1 tc to 2 devices and they seem to read fine (j+k type).
I have even put a handheld temp meter in with the tc wire to verify temp, tc card reading, etc.

Or is it possible to add another tc to the machine?

Drewcrew6