S7 - Empty Alarm Window in ProTool

RMA

Following the alarms discussion in a previous Thread, I finished up doing my alarms more or less as described by Jesper in this post.

I've now got the situation that the alarm window and the Acknowledge button come up when there's an alarm but the alarm window itself is empty. The correct alarm bit has been set because if I click on the litle blue triangle which is blinking away to tell me I have an alarm, then a big window opens up and displays the alarms correctly.

Anybody any ideas as to what might be wrong?

RMA said:
I've now got the situation that the alarm window and the Acknowledge button come up when there's an alarm but the alarm window itself is empty.

Roy

Are you saying that when the alarm window 'pops' up with the flashing blue triangle, the pop up window is empty, when it should look like the picture below

alarm.JPG

I would guess that it is due to the configuration of the message settings. Below is how I have mine set up, the picture above was taken from protool simulator after I triggered an alarm bit.

messagesettings.JPG

Don't know if that is any help to you.

Is there any chance of you emailing me your protool project so I can be nosey and have a look through it to see if I can spot the problem?

Paul

P.S I tend to 'muddle' along with protool until it does what i want it to.

I think you might be on the right track there Paul, because when I call up the message settings, the Alarm Messages are, just like the Event and System messages, just a row of dashes. How do you access the options to enter in those fields, I don't seem to be able to call anything up with the usual means (left- or right-click on the field) or are the terms defined somewhere. Don't forget, I'm using the German Version, so I don't necessarily know what things are going to be called.

What files from which sub-directory do you need to reconstruct the ProTool Project, so that I don't need to send you the whole S7 project, which is getting on for 3 MB. Can I usefully (safely?) ZIP the ProTool project, or have you Broadband access, so that it doesn't matter! :D

Hi Roy,

I have attached the screenshots for the setup of the Alarm View that works for me. Check if it looks the same by you.
Protool_AlarmViewSetup_1.GIF

Protool_AlarmViewSetup_2.GIF

Protool_AlarmViewSetup_3.GIF

I have a tag "UnackedPresent" that makes the alarmview appear.
If I removed the hide/unhide functionality it would cause a grey box to be displayed when there are no alarms. Not so critical but I like to make it "pretty":
Protool_AlarmViewSetup_4.GIF

Try to test with the RT simulator (not via S7-PLCSIM). You can manipulate both the alarmbits and the UnackedPresent tag etc.
In that way you can know if the problem is with the Protool or the S7 program.

Hi Jesper,

where do you access those windos - I can't find them. I found the one Paul showed under Zielsystem -> Meldungen -> Einstellungen, but I can't find your ones anywhere!

Edit: don't bother Jesper, I've found it - I was looking in the message list page, not the Alarm box properties. The penny dropped about 10 seconds after posting!

Edit 2: I think I may have found the problem - the "Messages" Radio Button on the "General" page was not clicked (seems like a curious default), so I can imagine that might well result in empty displays.

I'll disappear off to play now!

Last edited:
Yup, that was the problem. I suppose you can argue that it does make a certain amount of sense to default the alarming to the archive, but personally I find it a bit daft!