Information

novgoran

Hi there!
We have an industrial Ethernet network in our Plant and it works under the Win NT. We have installed over 15 A-B PLC5 and we have RS View and RSGuardian as well as RSMACC on our servers but we still have one big problem. I can monitor changes on PLC Logic but I need something more. I have a problem with unautorized access to the ledder logic and it sometimes makes a lot of problem for us. I would like to make some kind of questionare for the people on the floor when they want to do something with PLC logic, that they need, for example, to log in and log out and that it would be registered on some way. On that way I will know during the 24 hours who logs in and changed something or just "play" with ledder logic couple of minutes. With RSMACC I can see changes but I don't know who did make that changes or who didn't make any changes but wanted to play with PLC software.
Please, give me some advise, do you know for some software for that in order to prevent unautorized changes and to have a objective report list about every single event in our network (for ex... date, time, like some kind of access report list).
Thank you!

How many people on site make changes to the program? Are they all in one office, or spread across the network? I would designate one small group of people (one per shift) who are allowed to change the program. Although you have many operators who could change data with an HMI, you can usually password protect these, or limit the range things can be adjusted. If it is a large site, have different people responsible for different PLCs, with the other technicians giving opinions on how it should be modified, not just changing it.

Hi Vetteboy,
that is the problem, too many people can change programs and programs are not protected, everybody has access to use field computers (24 hours) and I still don't have any report on my server (I just can see changes using RSMACC but I still don't know WHO made those changes). There are about 10-15 people (mostly electricians),they are spread across the network. There are 17 PLCs and over 25 computers across the network loaded with RSView, RSLogix, and also Wonderware. Big plant, big network.
I heard that RSMACC can do something like that, we have the new version here but I didn't find anything yet.

Goran

We are in the process of implementing RSMACC, and my understanding is that you can limit who can do what and from what PC's with RSMACC. In fact, I am filling out our change management sheet for RSMacc. In that sheet, I have to specify what users have access to what files, and from what clients(PC's) they can access them from. In our setup, I think we are going to create a group for Plant Engineering. They will be allowed all access from all Plant engineering PC's. No one else will have access. My understanding also is that when setup correctly, RSMACC can tell you what was changed, at what time, and who had accessed the file at the time of the change. I'd say you need to contact your closest rep and get with an RSMACC guy from there.

Russ