OT, information density. Another rant.

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I often need to search for answers. What really p!$$e$ me off are long web pages and videos where I must waste a lot of time getting the info, usually a linux terminal command, that i want. However, it does't end there. I make YouTube videos. One thing I have noticed is that people have short attention spans so I try to keep my videos information dense. What I really hate are videos where I must wait for some professor type to look at his notes and copy them to a white board. When I make my videos I have the whole presentation done and just need to scroll through the calculations. Some times I go back and change values so the people can see what the effect are. Mathcad can do this. A white board can not.

Most YouTube videos are too long for the amount of info they deliver.

This is also relevant here. Too many threads are way too long.

I ran into an egregious offender the other day: a video from an evidently-popular YouTube vlogger whose title was "How to get [app I want] working on a [platform I have]".

It was a real-time narrated screen capture of him downloading the app, installing and configuring it, and troubleshooting the errors that appeared.

Ten minutes later his conclusion was: "well, I guess that doesn't work. Let me know in the comments if you were able to get it to run !".

I’m reminded of a video of a lecture I watched by MIT professor Patrick Winston on How to Speak. It’s an excellent video. One my favorite parts is where he says.
In any event, he said, I'm on my way to Europe to give a job talk. Would you mine critiquing my slides? Not at all, I said. You have too many, and they have too many words.

How did you know, he said, thinking perhaps I had seen a talk of his before. I hadn't. My reply was, because it's always true. There are always too many slides, always too many words

The presentation itself is here.
https://youtu.be/Unzc731iCUY

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have always wondered how anyone that had any intelligence thought the earth was flat (It was definitely a round globe as our ship was approaching it before our drunk captain decided to buzz sheep and crashed near Roswell)

Finally someone on YouTube posted a video saying they had the ultimate proof the Earth was flat - 2 hours of mindless, non-sensical rambling without any proof even hinted at.

I figure if someone has a point to prove or object to teach it should be able to be done in, at most, a 10 minute video.

I have always wondered how anyone that had any intelligence thought the earth was flat (It was definitely a round globe as our ship was approaching it before our drunk captain decided to buzz sheep and crashed near Roswell)

Finally someone on YouTube posted a video saying they had the ultimate proof the Earth was flat - 2 hours of mindless, non-sensical rambling without any proof even hinted at.

I figure if someone has a point to prove or object to teach it should be able to be done in, at most, a 10 minute video.

Of course the earth is round.
If it wasn't....cats would have already pushed everything off the edge.

I agree, Peter. I've had students tell me that my classes are "like drinking from a fire hose". But I figure if I give three times the information and they only absorb half of it they are still 50% better off.

I agree, Peter. I've had students tell me that my classes are "like drinking from a fire hose". But I figure if I give three times the information and they only absorb half of it they are still 50% better off.
I agree. There is a different issue. It is better not to bore the better students. They are the one ones that might actually use what you teach. Hopefully you make videos. At Delta Motion we like to make videos.

The "fire hose" approach is very good but better if it is recorded. I am always wondering about my "Peter Ponders PID" youtube videos. I think I go fast but the videos can always be paused so the viewer can study the equations. The viewer can also replay parts of the video. I don't worry too much about the information being too dense. I still get subscribers. However, the analytics say that most people bail out after about 3 minutes. I don't think they were able to keep up with the math even though I have a warning video.

Now that I am retarded, I worry about people learning what I know. I am especially worried about the guys at Delta Motion understanding. Few want to did into the math.
Lately I have been spending more time at reddit/s control theory subreddit.

I have always wondered how anyone that had any intelligence thought the earth was flat....

WTF, I just cant believe that there are people so stupid that they really think this is a fact, the scary part is they are reproducing and making more stupid snot nose little 'flat earthers'.

And there are more/other things just as stupid, I know we should not talk about them here but OMG o_O

WTF, I just cant believe that there are people so stupid that they really think this is a fact, the scary part is they are reproducing and making more stupid snot nose little 'flat earthers'.

And there are more/other things just as stupid, I know we should not talk about them here but OMG o_O

I drove Mango to Colorado in fall of 2018. I can attest, based on my experience, that the world is not flat. LOL