Net ENI vs Digi One IAP

wlemst88

Hi all,

I have a question for you gurus. I'm looking at connecting a bunch of PLC 5/20s to a SCADA machine, but I'd also like to have a network connection so that I can do some online programming. This requires two consecutive connections. I know that the Net ENI can do 6, buts its quite expensive. The Digi One is a couple of hundred less, but I can't seem to find anywhere how many connections you can have.

Anyone out there who knows?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if your situation is the same... At the facility I'm at we have 14 MLX1500's with the NETENI modules. All are connected to a SCADA somehow and we go online with them A LOT. No problems. We can't do online edits (MLX doesn't support it), but I don't see why that should be a problem. The only issue we have is if a power blip happens; sometimes the NETENI's have to be powered down and back up to re-establish a connection. Hope this helps.

Patrick Lisowski

This requires two consecutive connections. I know that the Net ENI can do 6, buts its quite expensive.

Did you mean to say concurrent / simultaneous?
If you did, then Digi is not what you should use. It only supports one connection as far as I know. The cheap Digi One, the RS-232 tunnelling device, also requires RealPort software to be installed which is a maintenance hassle. The Digi One IA works like ENI without the capability to send MSG's between processors. I don't know how many connections it supports but price wise it is not much cheaper than ENI.

Why not use a DH+ network? You can group the PLCs in sections of up to about a dozen per network and put a 1784-ktxd card in the SCADA machine. We have three DH+ networks with about 35 nodes total which connect to a central PC. I can (using RSLinx gateway) go online to any of them from my desktop via ethernet to the central PC. DH+ is very reliable and fast enough for most applications.

Yes, I did mean concurrant/simultaneous.

Here's the response I got from Digi Tech Support... Don't really understand the reply.

This would be "at least 60".
Have 2 SCADA poll the PLC at the same time RSLogix runs (2 sockets worst case) should NOT be a problem for the DOIAP.

Yes, I thought about DH+, but unfortunatly some of the more critical PLC's don't have any spare DH+ ports. I know I could mix my add my SCADA server to an existing control network, but I worry about what that will do to bogging down the network. There's a fair amount of data I want to collect, and I'm thinking it'd be best if it was on an isolated channel.

I got a clarification from the DIGI tech support, apparently you can have up to 60 connections to the PLC at once, and he's personally tested two.

So it sounds like a good/cheaper alternative to the Net ENI thing as you get 10 times more connections.

It is possible also to use a Lantronix DeviceServer. If you can use passthrough over RS232 you can access the whole DH+ network from a single device. I have 6-8 of these running in my remote plants including 2 in Mexico.

I suppose that would only work if you have a DH+ network you can use. I don't in this case.

Did you do that with AB PLC 5's?

Did it with SLC's but it works over the standard serial protocol. It was mistake I thought you were impying that you had a DH+ network between your PLC's already. The way I use it is connected to the serial port and with the passthrough configured pass messages over to the seperate DH+ network internally in the CPU.

It is possible also to use a Lantronix DeviceServer. If you can use passthrough over RS232 you can access the whole DH+ network from a single device. I have 6-8 of these running in my remote plants including 2 in Mexico.

Hey Brian,
I didn't know that Lantronix device could do that?
Could you publish the exact catalog number of the device or provide a link? Are you sure that you are not refering to the DataLink's device?
Thanks