Can't go online with particular ML1200 with NET-ENI or Digi One IAP

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Here's a weird one...

There's a Micrologix 1200 in the plant that uses NET-ENI to conect with the rest of the plant network. Lately, I notices occasional PLC timeout messages popping up on an HMI that reads a single word from it.

Today, I decided to replace the ENI with an IAP, which I have found to be infinitely more reliable, assuming it would eliminate the timeouts - it did, but I can't go online with the PLC.

Thinking it might be a minor configuration change, I copied the configuration from another IAP already used on a ML1200, loaded it onto the new one and changed the IP address to match the ENI. It didn't help.

Next, I tried replacing the IAP with the original ENI. The PLC timeout on the HMI returned, and I still can't get online through the ENI.

Lastly, I swapped the ENI with the IAP connected to the other ML1200. Still can't get online with the PLC.

I can get online through DF1 driver and serial cable.
Suggestions?

I havent changed network switch yet...

You may have caused a network switch to become confused. I think some of the smarter network switches like to keep arp tables with mac-ids and associated IPs and they don't like it when stuff don't jive no more. That is my highly technical understanding of why sometimes I Have to power cycle a switch to recover

Well, I ruled out the network switch - installed a brand new one and I still can't go online with it. Going to try a few other things tomorrow...

Is there a lot of traffic hitting the little controller serial port via the LAN? Maybe there is not enough bandwidth to let you get online? If you can disable other devices from trying to read/write to that PLC while you get online maybe that will help?

Last edited:
Restart your network switch. works wonders =)

Restart? I doubt that's any more effective than replacing it with a new one.

To answer Okie's question, the only traffic on the PLC is created by a single HMI reading one word.

Read too fast X_X sorry rguimond. I don't know if this could be related or not but when you switch out configurations on your controller ie drivers wouldn't you need to restart linx? Because your computer is looking for that certain driver that would fake out rslinx and the driver is their but it says that it isen't their and so on the confusing AB serial train we go.

Restarting RsLinx did the trick. I forgot that we are using RSLinx Gateway. I restarted RSLinx on the server and it picked right up.

Thanks for the suggestion!