How thermocouple CJC's happens ?

manmeetvirdi

Hi all
We all use thermocouples in industry.And all thermocouples needs cold junction compensation,and we do not use any ice cube bath for this purpose.Now does temprature controllers have thermistor located inside them for compensation or its there in control algorithm of the controller,because all temprature controllers ask to mention type of thermocouple you are going to use in there set-up.
No idea about this even though I'am dealiong with temprature cntrollers and thermocouple for a long time !
Regards
Manmeet

In a nutshell, the thermocouple will produce a voltage at the "cold" end no matter the conditions. In a true thermocouple set up, the "hot" end is placed at the measurement point, the "cold" end is indeed another thermocouple junction placed in an ice bath. the reading is taken from a point between the two "hot" and "cold" regions. The original thermocouple discoverer, Mr. Seebeck, made all of the voltage/temperature references with respect to 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C. Now, it is obviously not prudent to put ice baths in an instrument system. So, CJC, is an electronic/mathematical method of taking the reading from the "hot" end, and by knowing the temperature at the point where it is connected to the controller, by using a thermistor inside the unit, the correction calculations can be made and a true temperature recorded. In earlier, non-microprocessor models of controllers, this compensation was done using a compensation network. The methods used are why you must tell the controller what thermocouple you are using, so the proper values can be employed in the calculations.
Check out this link:http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/sensors/thermocouples/thmcple_theory.cfm

You have to tell the controller unit which T/C you are using for it to use the right algorithm for calculating the temperature from the mV reading. Those controllers probably have a universal input for thermocouples.

The cold junction reference is common for all types T/Cs. It is supposed to be a measurement of the temperature of the input terminals, but sometimes it's an ambient air temp on the input board.

That final temperature measurement is the sum of the temperature calculated by the T/C measurement and the cold junction temp offset above zero degrees C.

At ambient temperature, where the thermocouple's hot end and cold end are at the same temperature, the EMF generated by the thermocouple is 0 mV, which corresponds to 0°C on the T/C tables. The cold junction temperature added to freezing then gives a reading of "ambient".

Hi there

Thanx to Randylud And Danw.
Well it seems controllers do have thermistors to record the ambient temprature and then give out actual temprature using calculations in algorithm.
In case if somebody is intrested in algorithm then here it is: http://www.jashaw.com/pid/code.htm
Regards
Manmeet

The jashaw.com link (above) is for a PID algorithm, which is not the same as an algorithm for calculating the process variable or input value.

PID compares what you got (PV) with what you want (setpoint) and determines an output value according the tuning parameters.

A T/C algorithm can be either a look-up table or a polynomial which finds or calculates the temperature value from a Thermocouple's mV signal and the cold junction reading.