Yaskawa GPD315/V7 Profibus comms.

sherman4

Hello,

I have just bought a set of Yaskawa GPD315/V7 drives with the Profibus DP interface option. I am going to command the drives from a Siemens S7-314 2DP PLC.

Right now I do not feel very comfortable with the Yaskawa documentation as it has turned confusing given the multiple options for Profibus communication.

I would like to use the 3 words I/Os messages to command the drives startup, stop and set the frequency reference for speed. In the examples provided by Yaskawa they seem to be using more than just the 3 words.

If anyone has already worked with this kind of drive and would like to share some experience, programming examples or some knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Please contact me through this thread or to [email protected]

Thank you very much.

We use the Seimens TI500s and CTI 2500s using profibus DP each time we send a command such as a stop start or SP change it is necessary to do a hand shake with our Yaskawa drives.

We decided not to go with the S7 PLCs - AB Control Logix for new plants, some older plants are upgrading to the AB but most are opting to upgrade to CTIs 2500 direct replacement for the TI 500. If CTI would have gotten their 2500 to market quicker our new plants may have went with the CTI 2500.

Can you post the gsd file your using
?
I wrote a block a few years ago and I will post shortly.
If I remember correctly it used consistent data over word and not total length so sfc14 and 15 didn't work.
Also the only time it needed the handshake bit was when you write parameters over profibus not speed references.

Last edited:
Here's a sample.
Retrieve into Step7 and copy the blocks to your project.
Its not the prettiest code in the world but it works. :)

Good Luck

More info

This is an unfinished application note- but it gives you the basics.

Years ago, Magnetek, EMS, Saftronics...brand labeled some Yaskawa drives. Thus the reason you see the name Magnetek.

Last edited:
Nice sharing

Great Job JRW! Your words never dies. Was trying to analysis this drive and the manual are muddy. Have been using ABB drives with sfc 14,15 and profistate, this drive seems to be straight forward. Good to find your wisdom shared here. Keep it coming.

JRW, I dont quite understand how you write DB120 to AR2 in FC107 and the used of pointer. Sorry, I'm more used to ladder.