Help! S7-300 Memory is too small

douyi

Hi guys,

Finally I found my 314C-2 DP CPU which has only 64KB working memory cannot take my program (is about 129KB), is that possible to use this PLC still?

Thanks.

Last edited:
douyi

I think Ken is trying to tell you that the answer to your question is no.

You will have to upgrade the CPU to a model that has more than 129k work memory, I believe that this means purchasing a 318, as the 315's and 316's only go up to 128k work memory. If I am wrong on that I am sure someone will point it out.

Paul

douyi said:
I believe I can reduce some space to lower than 128K, do I have a choice to upgrade memory to 128K?

No, you cannot upgrade the work memory of the CPU, you are stuck with what you are given. You have to upgrade to a larger CPU, I believe that the newer 315's have 128k work memory, but I would check with your supplier. see if you can get a part exchange on the present CPU.

Paul

So it seems I don't have choice. Thanks Plucas. I'll contact my supplier and check with them, if they cannot get a part for exchange on the present, I'll come back to you.

Thanks again.

If you do upgrade, the 317 would be the better (cheaper) solution. The 318 takes a different memory card as well. Either way, be prepared for a large intake of breath when you see the price!

PLucas said:
No, you cannot upgrade the work memory of the CPU, you are stuck with what you are given. You have to upgrade to a larger CPU, I believe that the newer 315's have 128k work memory, but I would check with your supplier. see if you can get a part exchange on the present CPU.

Paul
Isn't the S7 plc's with a MMC card upgradeable for both the work memory and the load memory. I seem to remember that I did increase the work memory (up to the limit of the plc), but I may be wrong on this one.

I think the plc's with MMC card behaves slightly different on the memory side than the old ones with the appropriate siemens memory cards.

Cheers
Borte

Borte said:
Isn't the S7 plc's with a MMC card upgradeable for both the work memory and the load memory. I seem to remember that I did increase the work memory (up to the limit of the plc), but I may be wrong on this one.

Borte

As far as I am aware, the MMC card is like putting a larger hard drive into your PC, it increases the space to store your program, but not the memory to run the program (work memory), the work memory is like the RAM in a PC.

That's my understanding of it and that's what I work to.

Paul

PLucas: You'r probably right, I just ran out of program space once and all I did was to buy a bigger MMC card and then I was able to download and run my program without any modifications so I figured that I was able to upgrade the work memory. This was done on a S7 315DP2.

Cheers
Borte

Douyi, if you're already nudging 128k, do you want to risk having to do a second upgrade if you run out of space in the 315 ? OK you may be able to save some space but how sure are you that you are very near to the end of coding ? Has the end application yet to be commissioned on site for example ?

Last edited:
The upgrade may not be as simple and downloading the 315 program into a new PLC. I swapped a 317 for a 318 and had a few problems. The 317 does not support the same OB's. I think it was OB11, OB41, and OB81. Sure I was told by the local vendor that it was a plug and play situation. That was a pain. Siemens customer service was a big help.