SLC 500/503 Can not connect

TomEnglish

Hello everyone. I need help with this SLC500/503 - I can not get linx to see it. I tried to connect with my PCMK card with the serial d9 plug with and without a null modem. I tried the null modem and the serial port - I tried every driver available - when I do the auto config it says to check cables. Is it possible this processor(L532-OS300 A 2) must be accessed via the DH485 plug I do not have a 1784 PCM4/b to try it. The processor has a fault because its not configured. I removed the battery and shorted the capacitor to reset the processor to factory settings. Still no comunications.

Thanks
Tom;)

If you reset your processor then the serial port should work.
Make sure there is only one driver configured in RSLinx.You may have to shut down RSLinx disconnect from processor then restart RSLinx and delete all drivers. Then reconnect( using your null modem cable PC serial port to SLC serial port, 9 pin port) , configure the RS232/ DF1 driver, then do an autoconfigure.

I just tried what you suggested and when I did autoconfig I got the message Failed to find the baud and parity! Check all cables and switch settings. Still no connection

I think by default the processor you have SLC 5/03 with OS300 is
1200 baud, no parity, CRC error. you might try to set these manually. Make sure autobrowse is on and see if you can connect

Nope - tried 1200 baud, no parity, CRC error - could not connect - could it be my cabble? The cable is a Belden standard serial with a Radio shack null modem and gender changer.

Are you sure its a gender changer and not another null modem. Just thinking out-loud. ( I have made that mistake ).
Yes it can be the cable, it always helps to have another or something else to try it on.
Say hello to Wilma for me and stay dry.

No luck - I tried the cables every which way - even used a different serial cable - the gender changer says gender changer on the side - I am wondering if my laptop Com1 port is bad. or I have a dead processor. I am going to try one more thing - I will get a 25 to 9 pin adaptor and try my printer port.

I will get a 25 to 9 pin adaptor and try my printer port.
STOP !
First, it wont work. You cannot use DF1 on a parallel port. A 25 to 9 pin adapter will not make it into a serial port.
Secondly, there is a risk of damaging the parallel port or the serial port of the SLC !
I remember that on a Siemens PG (programming PC), there was a special 25 pin female serial port, next to the 25 pin female parallel port. If you accidently plugged the online cable in the parallel port, you could fry either the parallel port or the PLC.

The particular problem (of RSlinx not connecting via DF1) has been discussed many times on this forum.
It is possible that another driver is hooking the serial port.
It could even be the PIC driver in RSLinx if you have it configured. If so, you have to delete the PIC driver in RSLinx and reboot the PLC to free up the serial port.
Also, try to search for "DF1 autoconfigure" on the forum.

Back to square one, did you look in your device manager and identify the port number that the PCMCIA card's port was assigned to? And was that the port number that you tried in RSLinx?

TomEnglish said:
No luck - I tried the cables every which way - even used a different serial cable - the gender changer says gender changer on the side - I am wondering if my laptop Com1 port is bad. or I have a dead processor. I am going to try one more thing - I will get a 25 to 9 pin adaptor and try my printer port.

If you are using a PCMK card then it doesnt matter what your physical port does...that also may be an issue, the PCMK uses the PCM4/B cable the physical port can use a 1747-CP3 or equivalent cable.

Verify com1 is being used if you are using a BUILT IN com port...a USB adapter may have problems OR use com5 ....The PCMK may also use com5 or another port, you have to verify the connection dependent on what you are using.

DO NOT TRY THE PRINTER PORT.

There may be some confusion here. If he has a PCMK card and has the cable with the DB9, thats the setup for DH+. He may be assuming its RS3232 because of the DB9

jstolaruk, you may be on to something.
This quote from TomEnglish: "I tried to connect with my PCMK card with the serial d9 plug with and without a null modem" seems to indicate that TomEnglish dont know what the PCMK card is and what the various ports on the PLC are for.