Serial Port Monitoring Software

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can someone recommend a serial port monitoring software that runs on XP? I'm doing some work involving serial devices but Hyperterminal just don't cut it because it doesn't show special characters and control codes.

oh, free is good :)

I've been through a dozen freeware or demo/shareware serial analyzers and ended up paying about $80 for a license for HHD Software's serial analyzer. I have used it extensively in conjunction with a two-port Quatech PCMCIA/RS232 card to do ASCII, DF1, and Modbus analysis.

I don't remember how functional the trial version of HHD's Serial Monitor is.

One freeware package I have found very useful was the Tal Technologies Serial Breakout program.

http://www.taltech.com/freesoftware/fs_sw.htm#breakout

Can these programs tell you what is using the serial port? There have been times when I have gotten messages saying the serial port was in use when I was almost certain it was not.

rta53 said:
Can these programs tell you what is using the serial port? There have been times when I have gotten messages saying the serial port was in use when I was almost certain it was not.

No these programs show the data send and received over the serial line.

Here are 2 that were recommended to me but I have not used them.

And a demo of an Ethernet test program but I have not used it either. Probably a later version available now. Specifically designed for PLC comms. When you unzip it, rename the .ex_ to exe.

Last edited: