OT Math, need a brain start

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know how to do this but right now it is looking like hieroglyphics to me. It is expressions with fractional coefficients. In this case I know I need a common denominator but due to extenuating circumstances I am brain locked.

Reduce 6/7x - 4/10 to the form ax + b/cx

Last edited:
Not sure if I understand correctly, but I'll post this anyways. you've got 6/(7x)-(4/10) and you want it in the form ((ax)+b)/(cx). Using your numbers in this form, I used a common denominator of 70x. Left term becomes 60/70x, right term becomes -28x/70x. Leaving the equation (-28x+60)/70x. Hope this helps.

Russ

Its written exactly as given but it looks more like this: I give up on trying to show it as exactly given.

The equation is working with fractional coefficients
6 divided by 7x (6/7x) minus 4 divided by 10 (4/10) ...darnit, darnit, darnit....4/10 is 2/5...so in lowest terms it -14x+30/35

DARNIT, thanks for being a sounding board

Last edited:
rsdoran said:
Its written exactly as given but it looks more like this: I give up on trying to show it as exactly given.

The equation is working with fractional coefficients
6 divided by 7x (6/7x) minus 4 divided by 10 (4/10) ...darnit, darnit, darnit....4/10 is 2/5...so in lowest terms it -14x+30/35

DARNIT, thanks for being a sounding board

WRONG!!! It's not -14x+30/35, but it's -14x+30/(35x)

You are right but it accepted the answer I gave. This is done online through something called CAPA, it is one of the strangest systems I have ever dealt with. The math in general I can do, the hard part is trying to determine how to phrase the answer.

I have one that I never did figure out how to answer.

NOTE: This is exactly how the question was phrased:
Find the arc-length of a sector of a circle of radius 25 inches if the central angle of the sector is 30 degrees. Express the result as an exact value, reduced to lowest terms. Put the in after your answer.

To find the arc-length you use the ratio 30/360 or 1/12 times Circumference. C=pi time d (diameter), 50 x 1.14159 = 157.0795 x 1/12 = 13.09 in....approximate not exact.

Exact, I think, will be a fraction with pi in the numerator, something like 50pi/12 in but it would not accept it.

My last exam for the year is later today so I will find out. Actually I figured it out already...it should have been 25pi/6...not reducing like it states.

Last edited:
DickDV said:
Ron, that 30/35 could be reduced to 6/7. I don't know if that is important but there, you've got it anyway.
I had to think about what you said...the 30/35 can not be reduced because its 30 and 35x which are unlike terms.

You and panic freaked me out so I had to go back and re-check my work.
a= -14x
b= 30
c= 35x

You reduce 4/10 to 2/5 then you need a common denominator, in this case its 35x. 6/7x(times 5)=30/35x and -2/5 (times 7x)= -14x/35x, it will now become -14x+30/35x

You and panic freaked me out

glad to be of service :ROFLMAO:

you can reduce 30/35 to 6/7, just like 4/10 can be 2/5.
now the form is supposed to be
ax + b/cx

your result is
a= -14x
b= 30
c= 35x

did you try to insert these values in ax + b/cx and see if you get original form?

ax + b/cx= (-14x)x+(30)/((35x)(x))=-14x^2+6/(7x^2) !?

Last edited: