ow16 in rio issues

drewcrew6

We seem to have an issue putting a ow16 in rio racks don't recall the error the system gives after a short time . Swapping out the ow16 for another type of card seems to resolve the issue.

Anyone else finding the same?

Drewcrew6

If I remember correctly the OW modules use a lot of 24VDC power from the back plane, you may be overloading your chassis powersupply. Have you checked the loading under the I/O configuration tab?

I will double check that but I don't believe that is the problem because one rack is a 4 slot with an 16 point input and a 4 channel analog input. Even the smallest PS should handle that.

Drewcrew6

I missed some of the details is this a 1746-OW16 or a 1769-OW16? RSL500 5.20.00 and RSL5000 ver 10 (and I assume earlier versions) do not provide for 1769-OW16 but you can select OTHER and create a generic profile.
http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/applications/kb/RAKB.nsf/0/25062B768283173185256BD6006CF6FB?OpenDocument

Another issue may be the addressing, in some cases for a 16 pt module you have to leave a slot empty..I think. I can not remember all the details with single-slot and half-slot addressing but know there can be issues. With a 4-slot remote rack you actually only have 3 slots because the scanner module is in one, depending on the slot addressing and other cards it may not be able to accept a 16pt module. Take this with a grain of salt because you did not state if you swapped it with another 16 point module and I am rusty on RIO.

The error message could offer a detailed answer.

Ken Moore said:
If I remember correctly the OW modules use a lot of 24VDC power from the back plane

If I remember correctly it wast the OW32 that was the real power hog.

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Don't know if this is related, but ... I've had trouble with 1746-OW16 cards driving solenoids. I had a machine that ran fine for eight years then suddenly started intermittently faulting the 1746-ASB with a code that pointed at that slot and/or the adjacent slots. I tried surge suppressors, improved grounding and a bunch of other stuff. At one point it quit faulting for a couple of months and then came back. I switched to a 1746-OA16 and it cleared up. My fault always occurred when output point #7 turned on. On a 1746-OW16, the relay for output point 7 is very near the backplane and was apparently causing noise to get to the chassis.

Paul C.

We switched to i believe on oa16 (swapped on another shift) and the problem is gone for now at least.It was faulting about once a day. Sorry about the details it is a slc500 rio rack from a plc5.

Drewcrew6