What does a PLC Programmer typically make per hr?

What ever it is, It's not enough?

Here in Uk can be anything from £10.00-£50.00 per hour it will depend on if you work for yourself, a good company or in the case of < a tenner a bad company.

No seriously, it generally ranges from £20k to 40k looking at some of the jobs advertised.

Parky's right, there are just to many varibles.

Location, cost of living in the area worked, demand for programmers, other functions preformed besides programming, large company, small company, one man company.

I personally don't know anyone who only programs, there are always other job functions required. Design, drawings, documentation, etc...

I work for an engineering company and get 33 hr.But I am more of a project manager than programmer. I oversee the automation on this expansion project I am associated with.

I can hire myself out for 50-65 hr easily. In fact, that was what I was ding until I was offered this engineering osition. Looking back, I should have stayed with the contract business.

I am going back on my own and I could be at 85 hr and my clients would not fuss.

That as a one man operation that will grow when I can.

David

What makes being in nuke different?

I was once NRC licensed to handle radioactive isotopes to set them in a columated tube to be mounted over a geiger tube.

I understand the critical nature of your business, but how does one break in. I have a very good reputation in my area. I have now moved over into the Pharma business. But power, energy, and nuke plants have always been an interest to me.

David

Varies per industry.
Regular manufacturing I was in a few years back, not so good.
I make 3X + as much in the oil services industry these days.

Easy job I have now is salary but equates to about $36 plus a $5 off-site premium. Moonlighting is $35-$60 and that depends on if its on-site, who the customer is, and their payment terms. If I get paid witin 10 days of invoicing they get a lower rate; over 30 they'll have the higher rate.

elevmike said:
That explains it!!

It helps that our company's stock went from 15/share at 1/5 to 45/share 1/6.

It's a boom industry, and right now, as I'm sure you are acutely aware, it's booming.

Forget programming. Practice criticizing other work, even if you know nothing about it. Then use large words explaining how to do something completely un-related better, and how you've improved efficiency 18% somewhere (with more big words).

Also, learn cool acronyms, like OEE and ROI.

Then, hire yourself out as a consultant for $450/hr.

As a full time plus PLC programmer willing to travel at a moments notice and stay for days until the job is done, making recommendations as to what mechanical things need to be changed to have a fully operational system. Being ball and chained to a machine until everyone is trained and all the the "t"s are crossed and "i"s are dotted. I make a living.

WHAT IS IT WORTH TO YOU ?? They bill me out at $69/hr and I get a sliver.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It was so cold here in MI that I had to change my TC from unsigned integer to signed integer
-----------------------------------------------------------------