DH485 network

Jezz

Hi what's the best way of calculating how much traffic we have on our DH485 network.It look ok when we connect via RSlinx but I'm having trouble getting a display to talk across the network and I'm wondering if it could be caused by traffic on the network?

I'm using a Redlion G303 , the ladder spins at the same speed if I'm connected to just one processor or over the network.

How many nodes are connected, how much data is being moved over the network ?

You can set the max nodes number down if you have 5 to say 6 instead of 31 as long as the numbers are from 1-5 etc. I believe this speeds up the network traffic!

We have 7 nodes on the network.

As for the data we have 10 integer values being polled every 30 seconds 15 integer values being polled every 5 seconds and 6 Bit values being polled every 5 seconds.

Make sure your maximum node address is set to the highest number node on your network. DH485 is a token passing network. If you only have 7 nodes but the max is set at the default 31, then node 7 will have to try to pass the token to all nodes up to 31 before passing it back to 1. This can cause overhead that may be causing you problems.

That could be the problem the nodes that are used range from 12 to 28 (the idea was that no 2 plc should have the same node address on site even if they are not on the same network).

Try setting max nodes to 8 on all plcs and g3 etc

Have 0 or 8 for your programmer, and use the other seven for the plcs and g3 etc

You will probably find a speed increase.

Are you connecting the G3 using an AIC? If so you may be experiencing a TxEN problem that we have resolved. What is the date code of your G3? It is located below the part number on the small white sticker on the rear of the unit.

Regards,

DanYost said:
Are you connecting the G3 using an AIC? If so you may be experiencing a TxEN problem that we have resolved. What is the date code of your G3? It is located below the part number on the small white sticker on the rear of the unit.

Regards,

What is the TxEN problem thats been resolved ?

Jezz,

I thought that was you.

Dave,

We did not always drive the TxEN pin on AIC hard enough, as it requires much more to drive than the SLC itself. We changed the value of the resistor to fully saturate the TxEN transistor. The change was effective the 37th week of 2005.

Regards,

Yep that was me ,just messing with the web server at the moment got a nice test page set up (even managed to get a horizontal bar graph done in HTML).I'm really loving the power of these units.

DanYost said:
Dave,

We did not always drive the TxEN pin on AIC hard enough, as it requires much more to drive than the SLC itself. We changed the value of the resistor to fully saturate the TxEN transistor. The change was effective the 37th week of 2005.

Regards,

Thanks for that, just for future reference, what would the symtoms of a unit older than 37th/2005 be ? node dropouts etc ?

It would be what Jezz was seeing, no comms from the G3 at all through the AIC. His database worked fine when connected directly to a SLC, but once connected to the AIC the G3 was in a constant state of comms error.

Regards,