OT. What is the voltage inCanada

davefinic

Hi could anybody let me know what the voltage is in Canada as im looking to install an English machine over there and need to know if I need to modify it before its shipped

Most of my projects that go to Canada use 575V 3Ph 60Hz. Single phase is 120V 60Hz. (I'm sure our Canadian forum participants will confirm this.)

However, I think it is always good practice to insist that the end user send you the power requirements IN WRITING, preferably on the purchase order.

This eliminates any last minute confusion, fights, name-calling, screaming, crying, etc.

As an aside, I am working with a US plant near the Canadian border. Guess what? They surprisingly use 575V 3ph supply for motors. Go figure.

This would be a problem we use 415V 3PH in UK but often find anything beetween 400V and 440V this is a 1960's machine and im sure it would need some modifications.

I cant remember too much about the machine as I was contracted to decommision it a few months back and now the machine dealer has asked me whats required to send it to Canada

Check with your customer!!!

Most places use 575V 3P, 60Hz, but 480V 3P is not that rare either... There are transformers to step the voltage down to 400V but delivery is very long (I used it on two jobs so far).

Last edited:
davefinic said:
This would be a problem we use 415V 3PH in UK but often find anything beetween 400V and 440V this is a 1960's machine and im sure it would need some modifications.

Voltage isn't your only problem. US and Canadian AC is 60 Hz, and your english machine is probably designed for 50 Hz. Any motor will run at 120% of nameplate speed.

I would think there must be a form inverter to adapt the voltage and frequency to suit the machine, that said i've not seen any available in the UK.

jeepmadmike said:
I would think there must be a form inverter to adapt the voltage and frequency to suit the machine, that said i've not seen any available in the UK.

A VFD will do the job, as long as you are going down in voltage. In your case you could set max output to 50 Hz and max 415 V or whatever it takes to get your motor voltage at 50 Hz. However, although the output frequency can exceed the input frequency, the VFD output voltage cannot exceed the input voltage.

An invertor would not be the answer as this machine requires a 150A tpe supply. I thought about the frquency problem but as the drives are mechanicly speed controlled this is not an issue, but what effect would it have on the contactors because they are so old they probably arent 50/60Hz rated like modern contactors

If your coil are rated 50 HZ and you put 60 HZ on them, there is usually not too much to worry about. Keep the voltage within tolerence and you should be good to go. I have seen many 50 hertz machines from England/Europe in the states running on 60 hertz and the control contactors are ok.

Now, if the control contactors/coils were 60 Hz rated and you tried to run them on 50 Hz, you have a problem.

You can actually get a 575 Volt vfd and make it output 480 V 50 Hertz. Using a carrier stripper filter you can get sinusoidal voltages waves to use.

VFD Question

I am a newbie and I have seen VFDs for servo drives but how can VFDs be used for to step down the voltage for an entire machine? Wouldn't the Amps drawn be a problem and isin't it better to use a transformer? I know the operation is based on a simple switching principle, but the concept is not entirely clear to me.

Thanks