US Voltage

nonuke

Hi could anybody tell me what is the correct Voltage in USA (industry) as i'm sending over a control panel from Europe. The panel has a 0.5 KW VFD to control a motor and a few sensors. Is the Neutal (N) always available, so I could use a VFD with single phase input an 3 phase output?

We have several levels readily available.

480 vac 3 phase, 60 hertz, ususlly floating with earth ground available.

230 vac 3 phase, 60 hertz usually floating with earth ground available.

208/127 60 hertz with grounded neutral, usually for single phase and lighting panel usage.

Your single phase input VFD will work just fine. In your installations specs, make sure and identify the voltage level you need and it is single phase with a neutral available. Earth grounds are usually installed.

As there are three main possibilities, your best bet is to check with the customer. Most facilities have both 480 and 230/208/120 available and the customer may have a preference.

There is no true common voltage in the US, however 240V 2-wire systems are easily attainable almost everywhere.

The typical nominal voltages in the US are:

Single phase:
120, 240, and the most common 120/240 center tapped

Three phase ungrounded (L-L):
240, 480, and sometimes 600V

Three phase grounded (L-L/L-N):
208Y/120, 240D/120, 480Y/277

Most VFD available today can be used over such wide voltage ranges that they are suitable for use anywhere in the world.

For single phase, we use 120 and 240V. The 240V can be line-neutral or line-neutral-line. The 120V is always line-neutral.

For three phase, we use 208, 230, and 460V. The 208 will almost always have a neutral since it is often used as a source for single phase 120V. The 230V and 460V supplies can be delta-sourced without a neutral or wye-sourced with or without a neutral.

There are other odd voltages around but it is unlikely that you will run into them. Some large factories that generate their own power have 575V three phase and a very few are still generating 25Hz power. These are very rare.

If you are dealing with Canada, much of their industrial three phase power is 575V with enough 460V mixed in to make it interesting. It would be good to check with any Canadian customers first. Actually, that would be a good plan whereever you are shipping you products.

Thank you all for the help.
For what I have read so far, the best option will be 3P-230V this way I can use all the equipment sold in europe which is 230 VAC 50/60HZ??

Check with your customer.
60 Hertz almost always. A 50 Hertz system will mess you up with over current and speed differences

Rod

What's the voltage where???

This topic comes up all the time. However, I believe it is more a CONTRACTUAL issue than TECHNICAL issue.

Sure, if there isn't the voltage available in the region that you think is available, you are probably in trouble. However, I also think that if you don't give THE END CUSTOMER what he is expecting, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE.

I have always made it a point that ALL supply services, this includes not only electrical, but also pneumatic, any kind of gases (in a combustion system), etc. should be spelled out on the original manufacturer's quote, then confirmed on the subsequent cutomer's purchase order. This takes all guesswork out of the issue and prevents crying, screaming, litigation, bad feelings, etc. after the equipment is delivered.

In summary, all services (electrical, air, etc.) should be finalized contractually BEFORE a line is drawn in AutoCad...