Newbie:S5 using for controlling a building

baldur

Hi, there,
I've recently bought a Simatic S5 with CPU 6ES5 100-8MA01
Is it possible to write ladder diagrams and up-/download it to/from the PLC for a small amount of money?
The PLC must simple control the lights and blinds of my private building.
I'm not using a bus system.
Each switch will be connected to the S5 and the device will simple lower/rise the blinds or switch the lights.

Thanks in advance,
Baldur

You will need to purchase the s5 software and cable. It's not very cheap but there are non siemens software that is more cost effective.

you can download demo version of the PG 2000 software by www.Process-Informatik.de this software will run for 10 minutes only, then you will have to run it again...
you can make your S5 cable yourself, it's pretty easy... so you can get software and cable almost for free.. pretty good for home-project...

Thanks a lot

I'll try this Program

Regards,
Baldur

girevik said:
you can download demo version of the PG 2000 software by www.Process-Informatik.de this software will run for 10 minutes only, then you will have to run it again...
you can make your S5 cable yourself, it's pretty easy... so you can get software and cable almost for free.. pretty good for home-project...

Are you doing this because you want to learn PLCs ?
If so, I would get a small PLC of the same kind that your company uses or intend to use. Then simply borrow the software and cables for you to learn on.
S5 is obsolete, so it would be a bad idea to start with.

Or, are you doing it only to do the job of controlling your house ?
Depending on the size of the job, you can probably do it faster and cheaper with a smart relay.
The S5 doesnt have an onboard realtime clock for example.
There are smart relays that has realtime clocks as well as a small display and a few buttons.

Honestly, I hope you did not pay too much for that old S5.

JesperMP said:
Are you doing this because you want to learn PLCs ?
If so, I would get a small PLC of the same kind that your company uses or intend to use. Then simply borrow the software and cables for you to learn on.
S5 is obsolete, so it would be a bad idea to start with.

Or, are you doing it only to do the job of controlling your house ?
Depending on the size of the job, you can probably do it faster and cheaper with a smart relay.
The S5 doesnt have an onboard realtime clock for example.
There are smart relays that has realtime clocks as well as a small display and a few buttons.

Honestly, I hope you did not pay too much for that old S5.
Hi,
I need the S5 only to control my house.
Simply the blinds and the light.
No heating/cooling, no entry controlling.
And beside I want to learn programming a PLC.
My house ist just to be build and i'm installing a 'star-wireing' that means all cable from the switches going to the plc and the plc switches all wall plugs and blinds.

Regards,
Baldur

(Sorry, I forgot: I'm using 24 inputs and 31 outputs)

Last edited: