SLC Fault Code 0002H

email4nate

Has anyone ever gotten a Fault Code = 0002H on a SLC before? Here's the accompanied message:

"Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or an ASIC reset occurred. Cannot go online or upload from default processor (no program). You must perform download."

As expected, I could not go online to diagnose the problem. I downloaded the code and everything worked as if there was never a problem.

Any information as to the source of and/or remedy to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I got that fault when I accidentally plugged the RJ45 cable into the ethernet port of the computer instead of the 1747-UIC. Ethernet port of the computer got damaged. PLC seemed fine after downloading

I have a controller that gets that fault way too often for comfort. I did put a line filter on it; didn't help in the slightest. Haven't tried adding an MOV yet.

I have noticed that this error is almost guaranteed to occur on the next powerup after I've done a program download; after a couple of power cycles, it doesn't happen nearly as often. I'm running RSLogix 500 7.10.00 (CPR 7) on a six-month-old Gateway laptop; controller is a Series C FRN 9.

I also can't do an online change to this controller from my notebook, either. The Ethernet link drops every time. I used to think it was just this one PLC, but I tried some maintenance on an existing machine last week and couldn't do an online change to that one, either (I think it's also a Series C FRN 9). I am beginning to wonder if there's something in my new Gateway notebook's Enet and the Series C Enet chips that doesn't like either downloads or online changes, or both <g>.

I have used my current laptop to communicate to many SLC's and have never experienced this comm problem.

As far as I know the problem did not occur at powerup. My customer believes the machine was sitting idle when it occurred as they weren't running production that day. They don't service their own equipment, so I'm almost positive it didn't happen during or immediately after a download.

well I am having the same problem. I found some info at the bottom of this same discussion in another forum. http://www.control.com/thread/1026220643 2 people said they swapped out there power supply and it cured the problem. I checked the ouput of my power supply and it was only 22 when connected to any thing and 23 when open. I didnt think much of the slightly lower voltage till I read this. I havent bought a PS yet so dont kknow if it will work for me yet.

What version RSlogix500 is being used? there was an issue with version 7, where if the program in the PLC was written with version 7 and an online edit was done with a higher version, it could and does crash the PLC with the fault code you are experiencing, requiring a complete re-download of program.

This may not be the cause but it is something to keep in mind.

Steve

Nehpets, can you provide some reference information for the bug you are describing ? An RA Knowledgebase document or Produce Safety Advisory number would be ideal.

Ken,
Sorry I can't find the technote, the fault I refer to is due to personal experience and subsequent trawling of the internet to find answers, I would add that this fault does also occur on 5/04's

Regards
steve

Hi

Know this comes late, but had the same issue with a SLC500 after adding a safety relay switch into the mix. After reading possible cause and switching out every possible component from backplane extension boards to input and output modules, CUP processors and power supplies, it turned out that the electrician inadvertently hook the safety relay up to the 24 volt power output of the PLC. The added safety relay drained the PLC 24 output along with the input 24 volt power required to run the PLC. Once this was rewired to an external 24 VDC power supply the error went away. The moral here is always make sure you are not exceeding the power supplies amperage/wattage capacity else strange and seemingly unexplained things may happen.