AB SLC 500 Fault Code 0001h

Ahhh yes, I had assumed you had tried the normal download and the fault had persisted. I have seen surge related faults before keeping the processor at a 0001h fault state, so I knew it was possible. I didn't read between the lines enough.

To Download, you need to "point" RSLogix 500 to the processor path, via the "Comms" window, but you do not "go online" to a defaulted processor when attempting to Download an initial program to it. You just select "Download" and it uses the currently selected path. To always use this path, under "Comms>System Comms..." click on the processor and then tick the "Apply to Project" box in the bottom right corner. Then "OK" and Save the project. Then perform the Download.

EDIT: Everyone is quicker than me! (I'm too particular...)

G.

EDIT: Everyone is quicker than me! (I'm too particular...)

just cheat ... post SOMETHING! ... then edit the finer points ... (works for me) ...

that's the only way that I can get ahead of Mickey when he's around ...

Last edited:
Ron, you are a Son of a EDIT: Fair Southern Lady!!! :p

EDIT: See, you just edited again adding the Mickey part!

EDIT: and I just edited again to make you aware that I am aware of your editing ways!

EDIT: Good Night!

EDIT: Or is that morning?

Last edited:
And the winner is??????
Everyone that helped!
As Ron said i was looking at it from the wrong direction.
I will put up screen shots and further detail later, as i am nearing my shift.
In essence the 9 pin serial port was being used to control the servos, and i was loading the program through it!

Screen.jpg

Screen1.jpg

As you can read through the thread, i was looking at it from the wrong angle. I was stupidly thinking i had to go online before i could download the program.
Once i checked the comms in the comms menu i downloaded the program. While i had connected to the plc to download, once the program was downloaded it applied all settings as the serial port was being used by the third party servos.
This has in essence locked me out from going online and viewing live data. Anyone have any idea giw to connect through the Prog term which an eight pin serial. I have been testing a cable offline and cannot connect through this 8 pin port. I am currently testing a 1747-uic, but no luck as of yet

Last edited:
if I understand correctly, this is an SLC-5/04 (FOUR is the key word here) ... that means that the little round port (8-pin mini-DIN) is actually a DATA-HIGHWAY PLUS port - not a serial port ... specifically, it is electrically the SAME as the 3-pin DH+ port at the top ...

if the DB-9 port has been reassigned to handle the servo communications, then you really need to come up with some way to get in via Data Highway Plus ... nothing else is going to make you happy ...

Cheers Ron, thank you for getting back to me.
The 3 pin DH port is currently being used by the hmi, so this 8 pin port is the only one available. What could i use to connect to this port?
I also have a 1761-NET-AIC hanging around
Sorry about all the silly questions šŸ™ƒ

The 3 pin DH port is currently being used by the hmi,

on an SLC-5/04 the 3-pin port MUST be Data Highway Plus ... this should be a blue-hose cable connection ... you can daisy-chain from that connection ā€“ IF (big IF) you can get your computer set up to access a Data Highway Plus connection ...

specifically, you are not forced to use the round 8-pin mini-DIN ...

your best route is to get Mark (geniusintraining) involved in this discussion ... the gear that I personally use is an oldie-but-goody PCMK "credit card" type connection for my suitably equipped PCMCIA-capable laptop ...

what you're really interested in is something that can give your computer a Data Highway Plus connection ... that way you can leave your servos connected to the 9-pin while you talk with the SLC for programming purposes through the DH+ connection ...

sorry ā€“ gotta go ... other work commitments for tonight ... good luck with it ...

Thanks for the help folks. I might get onto our local rep for ab and see can they supply me with one of these Catalog Number 1784-U2DHP

mcorban said:
Would a Device net adaptor work, 1761-NET-Aic, if it did i would just hard wire it in altogether

Firstly, DeviceNet is a completely different type of network to Data Highway Plus (DH+).

Secondly, the 1761-NET-AIC (Advanced Interface Converter) is not a DeviceNet "adaptor". The 1761-NET-AIC does two things...

The first is to convert RS-232 electrical signals to RS-485 electrical signals and vice versa.

The second function is to provide electrical isolation between all three communication ports. This protects against ground loops and voltage differences between devices connected to the 1761-NET-AIC.

A common misconception is that the 1761-NET-AIC converts protocols, but this is NOT TRUE. It passes the protocol but converts the electrical signals.

It would normally be used with the protocols - DH-485, DF1 Half-Duplex, Modbus RTU, etc.

If your computer is relatively new, then to connect to the SLC 5/04 without affecting the already in use ports, the 1784-U2DHP (USB<>Data Highway Plus) adapter is your best option. But yes, it is expensive. You can also browse the local DH+ network through it.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Geo
Cheers for getting back to me.
After reading that things have started coming back to me!
It's been quite awhile since i've been interfacing with some of these products, ethernet has me ruined :ROFLMAO: