AB SLC 500 Fault Code 0001h

mcorban

Hello
I was wondering if any of you would have an idea of an issue i have.
I had a Processor failure.
I installed a new processor, albeit a later firmware version.
I can see the processor on RS Linx, and it does show a "Default" Auto configuration was sucessful.
When i go to go online in Rs Logix 500 i get the fault "Default SLC Program Fault code=0001h"
I mailed Rockwell last week but i think our service agreement is out so not even a mail.
I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas.🔨

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

EDIT: Argh, called away mid post again and the quick clickers arrive! I've omitted any info already posted by the good people of the Forum.

The last time this newer processor was used, it faulted and wiped its memory, defaulting the processor. While it appears to load a DEFAULT program, there is in fact no program present. All the DEFAULT state holds is the 4 digit hexadecimal error code to tell you what last happened. It also defaults the communications settings so you can easily connect again to read the fault code, but you cannot go online to the processor, or download a program to it, while it is in this faulted state.

Now, whether that happened when it was plugged into this chassis, or when it was last plugged into some other chassis, would be hard for me/us to say.

Is it possible you grabbed a spare and did not connect the battery lead to the PCB before inserting it?

What's the "BATT" LED indicator doing?

What were the symptoms for the processor you replaced?

Is fault code 0001h only an issue for the new processor, or did you get it with the old one as well?

In other words...

Are they both suffering the same fate, or have they different issues?

At a minimum, power down and unplug the processor from the slot and check the battery connector is plugged securely onto the PCB. If still no joy, replace the battery, if you have a spare. After that, the power supply, if you have one.

If you don't find something "simple" wrong, then give the catalog number for the processors...

1747-L5xx Series x Revision x

Also, give or check any other pertinent info related to the list above, like chassis is properly grounded or not, what comms are involved, hot environment, are there more than one power supplies in use on this chassis, such as a separate PSU for I/O.

My money is on the battery, but how much, I'm not saying!

Regards,
George

Hello to all, great to see a good community presence here.
I have been burrowing away at the issue and thank you for all you replys so far.
Now where i am is this. A new processor out of the box installed, battery procedure followed and installed. Same flashing fault light. Can see the controller using rs linx, but get the error when i go into comms settings via rs500.
Pulled all cards from the slots (rack powered down) powered up and no go, same issue.
Checked the backplane for damage, none noted.
Checked mains power, getting 220vac.
Going to get me a Power supply from RS tonight and see where it leads me, my gut is power supply, but would not rule out backplane, as the machine is using third party servos, and it is this i suspect caused a spike somehow when it overloaded.
Again, thanks for the help, and i will certainly keep ye posted.

George, the Batt led isn't flashing, and i would assume, new battery would be fine, but is certainly a potential issue.
Cheers, and great to see a fellow country man on here :-D

If it was new out of the box, then the battery is "probably" ok. But if you have another, then changing it won't hurt to rule such a simple thing out, even though the BATT LED is not lit.

You seem to be on top of things and are systematically checking the different components, in order of likeliness. Have you also a spare chassis knocking about? We usually have at least a 4 slot for testing modules away from suspect chassis.

While you're waiting on the PSU, and if you haven't already, I'd check the voltage jumper (230v/115v) on the current PSU. It appears you have steady voltage, but I have seen those become slightly loose over time, giving intermittent voltage problems. Just another thing to rule out.

But the fact you got a spike from the servos, taking out the other processor, I assume, seems likely that it would or could have also damaged the PSU and/or backplane.

You're on the right track, so far.

G.

George
Thanks for getting back.
Taking the point on the jumper, going to "jump" right on that :-D
I have no spare backplane, but we'll see with the power supply, hopefully not. We normally have some logix 5000 racks and compact logix, but fave very little spares for the slc 5/04.
I do recollect changing one of these backplanes years ago in a company up your neck of the woods.

I just "killed" one of my SLC-5/04 processors back to "out of the box" conditions - and the figure below is what I'm seeing ...

if this is what you're getting - then I'm betting that you need to do a download ... if you need help from the forum with that piece of the puzzle, then we'll try to get you going ... but I've got a hunch that so far you've been attacking the problem from the wrong end of the pipe ...

do you have a backup copy of your program available? ...

the figure below shows what we'd EXPECT to see from a "fresh from the box" processor - BEFORE a program download ... is this close to what you've got on your screen? ... if so, then this is NORMAL for a processor which has no program in it ...

note that if this is NOT what you're seeing, then maybe posting a screen shot would help us give you more detailed answers ...

fault_0001h.PNG

Last edited:
Ron that is exactly what i am seeing.
But for me to perform a download i must be online with the controller from memory. The default slc box is what i get when i attempt to go online.
any help greatly appreciated. Where my weakness is that i do not have a desk mounted rack to allow me to test :-(

But for me to perform a download i must be online with the controller from memory.

no - that is NOT correct ... just open the program while OFF-line - then try to do a Download ... if it doesn't work, tell us (or show us) what you're seeing and we'll make it happen ... giving us a screen shot would be best ...

TIP: the download will use the Driver and Node settings (about two inches down from the top of your RSLogix500 screen) as the target/destination of the download ... if those settings aren't right, you'll need to correct them by clicking Controller Properties (a little lower down on the screen) ...

Last edited:
I think that you might be misunderstanding "online"...

Yes, you will need to be connected the the PLC to be able to download to it. But connected is not the same as online.

Connected, in the sense that I'm using it here, just means that you have a physical connection from PC to PLC, and that the PC can "see" the PLC. Which it can, because you can read the error codes.

Online means that you are connected to the PLC and viewing the program in real time. If there is no program to view, you can't go online!

You should be able to just download the program without being "online" per se, as long as you're "connected", and then you will be able to go online.

Or at least, that's the way I'm reading the situation. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding - I haven't been following the whole thread closely :)

[edit] Ron's a bit quicker off the mark. But at least he agrees with my thoughts :)