Siemens s5 115u coms problem

AndEdtec

Hi I'm trying to connect to a s5 plc, I have a rs232 to current loop convertor made by patton.

A rs232 to 25pin din from the serial port to the rs232 side of the convertor is conected to plc with a made up lead.

The connections I have are:

14(t+)---------------(r+)9
19(t-)---------------(R-)2
25(r+)---------------(t+)6
23(r-)---------------(t-)7
male25w male 15way

I have 232 serial lead pluged into a 9pin serial to 25w adapter which is connected to the convertor then then the above lead connetor to the plc.

It would'nt work, since writing this I realised the rs232 lead I have is a not straight through, is this my problem?

Any replys greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the current loops? Are they powered from the converter? The PLC does NOT power the current loops, so your converter must. Some of the S5 PLC's could power the one of the two loops (the 100's I believe, and maybe some of the 115's) but the cabling was a little more complicated.