SLC 500 programming

poisonfrog

I have a AB SLC 500. Can I use 6200 software to communicate with it? I have the 1747 programmer but I was kinda wanting to use a computer.

Thanks

Yes you can use 6200 or you can contact AB and get RSLogix 500. I see that you already use RSLogix 5 so it isn't a large step to use the 500 version of the software.

The is from an old post by you:
poisonfrog said:
I am trying to catch the highest analog signal before it drops out...(edited for space).. I will post the code if I can have someone tell me how to do it on rslogix5 Thanks...

What do I need to do to use the 6200 software? Do I just need the 1747 PIC? Can I run this under an XP system? Any help is appreciated... I do not want to buy the 500 software.

"6200" is DOS-based software with versions for PLC-2, PLC-3, and PLC-5 controllers.

The DOS-based software for SLC-500 controllers is called "APS". It hasn't been for sale for ten years. I think it went up to about Version 6. If your SLC is a new one, it can't be programmed with that old software.

You can still run APS and the 1747-PIC interface on an old DOS computer with a real serial port.

You cannot run APS and the 1747-PIC on a modern Windows XP computer.

If you mentioned which model of SLC-500 controller it might help folks come up with suggested options for you.

I have a 1747 SLC. I can get a dos based computer to run the 6200 software. Do i need a KT card or can I just plug the pic module into the computer? I am trying to use the 6200 software from a cost standpoint.

Thanks

poisonfrog said:
..from a cost standpoint.

By the time you get done... it will be cheaper to get the update version, you can learn something new, if you have issues programming there are more people that can help, etc, etc,

poisonfrog said:
I have a 1747 SLC. I can get a dos based computer to run the 6200 software. Do i need a KT card or can I just plug the pic module into the computer? I am trying to use the 6200 software from a cost standpoint.

Thanks

poisonfrog,
Reread Ken's post, first sentence. No can do.

I have heard 3 different people tell me 6200 could do SLC's (one from here) but noone could remember the hookup. It would seem that the PIC module would be needed but I am ot sure about a KT card. Are the guys telling me that 6200 will do SLC's wrong? Brucechase has said it will work...

Thanks for the help

What software do you have? If 6200, it will NOT do SLC500. There was a 6200 version for PLC5 and a different 6200 version for PLC2. The software for SLC500 was APS. If you don't have APS, you won't do SLC500. Period. End of discussion. You can't use RSLogix5 to program a SLC500 either... Tell us exactly what version of 6200 software you have -- from that we can tell you what it can/can't do.

Now, the next question: Which model of SLC500 do you have?? APS is sooooooo old, that it is very limited on which models of SLC500 can be accessed. I don't remember exactly where it stopped, but it seems like SLC 5/02 or 5/03 may or may not have been supported. Certainly not the 5/04 and 5/05. Period... End of discussion.

If you have APS, what computer do you want to run it on? It will NOT run on XP, not even in DOS compatibility mode. I seriously doubt it will run on 2000. It was a DOS product. You really need a DOS computer to run it right. Seems like I might have had it running on a 95 or 98 box. Possibly an NT box. If you want to have any possibility of using it, you're going to have to have real comm ports... you know, the old IRQ3-type of serial port. Not a virtual port. Not a USB serial adapter.

You asked if you need a KT card. We need to know exactly which model of SLC you have. Yes, it's a 1747. Duh... they all are. Give us the full model number. You can use a KT card to communicate with a SLC 5/04. That's all. You'll need a PIC to communicate with SLC500, 5/01, 5/02, 5/03. Ethernet for SLC5/05. Or you can use serial DF1 to comm to any of them. For us to tell you exactly what you need, you need to tell us exactly what you have.

There are some of us here who actually used that software when it was new! (I've been doing this for 20 years.) Help us to help you... We ~can~ answer your questions if you'll give us the exact information we need to help you.

Last edited:
poisonfrog said:
I have heard 3 different people tell me 6200 could do SLC's (one from here) but noone could remember the hookup. Brucechase has said it will work...

I was wrong. It's been a while since I've used these and I was going by memory. The 6200 is for the PLC5 and APS was for the SLC. I would trust most of the people here before I trust myself (especially on something that I haven't used in 10 years). There was also an AI series of DOS based software, but I'm not sure of which one to use for the SLC.

brucechase said:
I was wrong. It's been a while since I've used these and I was going by memory. The 6200 is for the PLC5 and APS was for the SLC. I would trust most of the people here before I trust myself (especially on something that I haven't used in 10 years). There was also an AI series of DOS based software, but I'm not sure of which one to use for the SLC.

FYI, see PDF