Class 1, Division 1, Help

BudW

All,

I am working on a quote for a test fixture that will be located in a Class 1, Division 1 area. Our part of the quote is for the End Of Arm section of what looks like a pick and place unit. The EOA will have a few proximity switches on it. These NAMUR style proximity switches and intrinsically safe barriers will be supplied by others. The proximity switches will be located in the Class 1, Division 1 location. The intrinsically safe barriers will be located in the main enclosure and in a safe area. The proximity switches have a quick disconnect and is using a hazardous NAMUR location cordset. The proximity cables will be pulled into a junction box enclosure and then on into the main enclosure.

Q. Do I still need a Class 1, Division 1 enclosure & cord grips for the proximity cables??

Q. Can you suggest a manufacture & series of Class 1, Division 1 cord grips?

Thank you in advance.
Bud

Last edited:
Q. Do I still need a Class 1, Division 1 enclosure & cord grips for the proximity cables??

If I understand correctly, the enclosure will be installed between the NAMUR prox. switches and the barriers, then you can use a standard enclosure. The I.S. barriers will ensure that there isn't enough current for a spark. So you do not need an enclosure that will contain an explosion.