slow panel view

MNJ96

Lifetime Supporting Member
hi everyone

i am sort of a newbie to ab panelview standard . i have a cloumbia palletizer application in which door open alarms , conveyor faults , etc are some times taking up to a full minute to appear on the panelview . the processor is a ab slc 5/03 1747-l532 with a dh-485 port and rs- 232 port . the processor program says 3035 instruction words used and 3829 data tabe words used . memory left 8105 . is the memory almost full ? also i can not see the panelview through the processor in linx i am connecting the laptop through the rs -232 port via df1 and the panelview is connected dh 485 the panelview cat # 2711-t5a2l1 ser/d rev /d frn/4.46 there are to ports on the panelviw one is the phone connector type the other is an 8 pin amp connector i need a way to upload the panelview program before changing anything . panelview is a pv 550 touch only . do i need a special cable or do i just not have something configured also . can i change anything in the settings to speed communications between the panelview and the processor

Connection options:
Use passthru DF1 to DH485 Go to AB knowledgebase I.D 27955
PC to PV use 1747-PIC ( see PDF below)
PC to PV use 1747-UIC ( see PDF below)

Support Home Page
You may have to register ( its free) click on find ansewers

mickey do you have any idea why this pv to slc connecion is so slow . i have browsed through the program and the alarm outputs to the panelview have timers most are 30 seconds but some alarms are taking in excess of 3 minutes to display so that we know why the machine stopped . i got the knowledgebase document for the pass thru . i will try this as i do not have either of the cables you have listed i have used the pic and uic cables before on anther job but i do not have them here

thanks

Well I can't see what you see or know what you know. A couple of thoughs
Are these the only nodes on the network?
Did this just start happening? What has changed if so.
Check max node settings on both PV and SLC.
Are you getting errors or time outs? Check network hardware.
All this is just WAG on my part.
Once you have the programs post them someone can take a look.

would this connection be faster if i put in a pv 550 with rs-232 post and used df1 to link them ? i will upload programs this evening and post

thanks

yhe pv and the 5/03 are the only nodes on the network and this has been happening for a long time but this week it has gotten worse almost twice as bad and no changes have been made . i am not sure about max node settings . what should the be for this kind of setup ?

Max Node settings:

MaxNode.jpg

I wouldn't think that a RS232 (DF1)set up would be any faster then
a two node DH485. Although you might just correct the problem if its a DH485 hardware issue. But then you would never know.

Phil,
How do the manual functions pushbuttons respond on the Panelview?
If the pushbutton response is slow I would say there is something strange on the DH485 network. If they respond normal then there might be something going on in the alarm logic in the program.
When we connect to these machines we use a PIC box and plug into the port on the Panelview then you see both the Panelview and PLC on the DH485 Network.
What Model Machine is it?

here are file files in zip format . max node addresses in processor was set to 31 and panelview set to 5 . i set both to 4 and am about to try

Only thing that jumps out at me is PV under comm set up. Under
Node Type you have SLC 5/05 it should be SLC 5/03 OS302. I don't know if
this will make a difference but might as well make it right.
Click on it then click on down arrow to change.

NodeTypeDiff_1.jpg

Last edited:
mickey

i will make this change this evening and see what happens. i think the problem is in the alarm logic which i do not quite understand yet. also i set the processor up for passthru to pv per the knowledgebase document you gave me a link to . this worked well until i changed the max node settings in the plc program it was set to 31 nodes . i changed it to 4 nodes and now when i go online with the processor in rs linx i show the same processor icon 31 times if i remove the node it comes right back and i can not stop the df1 driver any ideas

thanks

I have just took a quick look at the alarm logic and as you say very confusing but there does appear to be build in delays.
I have not used the passthru myself, maybe someone who has can check in
and comment about your problem.