slc 5/05 rs232 port

eastkodakguy

Hi all
I saw something very weird yesterday and today. Has anyone seen the RS232 port on a slc 5/05 32k revb processor go bad. I am using the ethernet port for networking and the rs232 port for communication to a tcp touch screen (By the way if you guys have never used one of these things they are soo easy compared to ab panelview. I am not sure how much they cost or how relible they are though the software is simple and straight forward) anyhoo The rs232 port on the slc was not talking to the tcp I could talk to the slc through ethernet also I checked the tcp and it was ok i could upload and download to it. I removed the the processor from the chassis and placed a different one in whoah la it worked everthing was fine. I placed the old slc card in a different machine and still the same response no com through rs232. My day was over and i left the plant. I went back this morning to see if i could find what the problem was. I plugged into the old processor and what do you know i was talking to it through rs232. I did not do a thing to it and i dont understand it. I had everything configured right rslinx, coms on slc etc. The only thing I did was unplug my laptop and turnit off and take it with me.
if anyone has any type of explanation for this it would be appreciated
thanks
Dallas

It's possible that it is a temperature related problem. Maybe a chip or solder joint on the board cooled down. Maybe the DB9 RS232 port pin socket got loose or opened up just enough to cause problems.

Sid

This is a very old thread and an unrelated issue.

None of the SLC-5/0x controllers support Modbus protocol on the serial port. The most common module for Modbus interface to the SLC-500 family controllers is the Prosoft MVI46-MCM module or the older 3150-MCM module.

DeltaV serial modules built in about the past 10 years should support Allen-Bradley DF1 protocol as well as Modbus RTU.

Rockwell Automation products are not available for sale, support, or import to Iran.