this program into our laptop into our RS500 program

already loaded on the laptop. The existing RS500 in the

laptop is the enterprize development program. My question

is do I have to have a similar or exact program of the UV

oven already in the enterprize developement environment to

upload? I have been told you do so as to prohibit pirating of

industrial software. Any advice?

Michael,

No, you do not have to have a similar program before you can upload one. However, it sounds as if you have two different versions of the programming software. If your "Enterprise Development Environment" software does not have the same file format as a normal SLC 500 (RSS) file, then they will not be compatible.

Now, if you do not have a copy of the program ALREADY on your programming terminal (PC), then normally you can upload a program from an SLC, but you will not get the comments and symbols (those are not saved on the SLC), just the bare-bones logic. For small programs, often you can re-create the symbols for the Inputs and Outputs. How many of the remaining symbols you can create depends on how familar you are with the UV Oven.

In any case, if you can print out the existing program, or have an old print-out, drawing, or hard copy, then you can re-create the program in your Enterprise Development Environment.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Lancie. The version issue is possibly the problem.

My laptop version maybe older than the UV oven SLC500, thus the issue.

Michael 473

In your first post I read it as if you don't have a copy of the Plc project, then your second post sounds like you have an off line version of the project.
If you do have a off line copy of the project and it is documented, it is possible to merge the off line documentation, with a new on line version.
Are you able to clarify please

Gil47, My laptop doesn't have the UV program in its files. that is why I

thought uploading from the existing UV's SLC500 would supply me with

the needed UV program to trouble shoot it. Lancie1 thought the version

issue may be the problem. Laptop contains enterprize program.

In your RSLogix 500 software, select Help -> About and post the version of RSLogix 500 software you have.

If you are familiar with the RSWho function inside RSLinx communication software, right-click on the SLC-5/04 controller icon and select "Device Properties". Then post the version of the SLC controller that you have.

This will allow folks here on the Forum to tell if your software supports your hardware, rather than guessing about "older" or "newer" software.

Michael 473 said:
My question is do I have to have a similar or exact program of the UV oven already in the enterprize developement environment to upload? I have been told you do so as to prohibit pirating of industrial software. Any advice?

All version consfusion aside, the answer to this question depends on whether or not the original programmer set the S:1/14 bit. If this bit is set then you will have to have a copy of the program in order to go online with the processor. If the bit is not set then you can go online and uplaod the ladder program from the PLC.

If the Status bit 1/14 is set, then call a scrap-metal dealer and ask them to send a truck over. Pick up the oven with a forklift and haul it out back and load it on the truck. Then take it to the scrap metal recycle place. Now search for a brand that INCLUDES access to the program, and order a user-friendly version.

Last edited:
I will check on Ken Roach's approach, but the environment that I work
supports the S:1/14 theory. We have a very political climate at my work
site. Thanks for the advice.
michael 473

Ken, The laptops version is 7.10 (RS500) as for the UV PLC it is a
SLC 5/03. I could not get a communication link to access its RS Who
(the SLC 5/03). I used 1747-CP3 cable for a DF1 485 link, no luck.
We have a contractor who installed the UV oven and he claimes he uploaded
the program. I saw a floppy disc in the bottom of UV panel cabinet.
After installation the floppy dissapeared. The S:1/14 bit seems plausable.

RSLinx must also be loaded and running on your laptop. On the RSLinx top menu, click "Communications", then "Configure Drivers". Make sure there is an AB_DF-1, DH-485 driver configured and RUNNING. If it is loaded, but STOPPED, or in the Status column shows "Error", then you must find and fix the problem before you can establish communications with your PLC. You may want to STOP or delete other drivers that could interfere.