Mounting PLCs in 19" rack enclosure

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not as easy as you might think.
The '19 inch world' thinks horizontally. The PLC world thinks vertically. (regarding mounting, at least).

Has anyone sucessfully mounted PLC racks in 19" rack enclosures?

If so, what did you mount the PLC on?

AB makes a 1771 chassis that can mount in a 19" rack. I saw an installation many years ago that actually looked very clean.

Alaric said:
AB makes a 1771 chassis that can mount in a 19" rack. I saw an installation many years ago that actually looked very clean.

That would be the 1771-A3B. I've ordered them a couple of times by accident. Luckily the A3B can be mounted on a backplane as well.

I don't know of any modern 19" rack mountable PLC. I'd probably buy some sort of 19" shelf mouning bracket from blackbox (or elsewhere) and use that.

jimbo3123 said:
That would be the 1771-A3B. I've ordered them a couple of times by accident. Luckily the A3B can be mounted on a backplane as well.

o_O How do you think I knew about that chassis for myself. I did the the same thing. 🍻

We do a lot of 19" rack mount hardare in th eentertainment industry. I have housed plcs in a number of different 19" rack enclosures. I would take a look at Techmar. They are pretty top of the line and can get pricey, but they make for great enclosures small plc projects, HMIs, etc.

jdbrandt said:
The '19 inch world' thinks horizontally. The PLC world thinks vertically. (regarding mounting, at least).

The Clgx 1756-A10 with power supply is exactly 19", coincidence, I think not. I have seen a 1756-A10 mounted in a 19" rack using 35mm DIN rails , top and bottom, for anchoring the mounting tabs of the 1756-A10 rack

Hoffman method . . .
partial_subpanel_for_19in_racks.gif

PROLINE® Partial Subpanel
Partial subpanels are 12 gauge steel, have flanges on four sides, and are painted white. Panels can be positioned vertically in 25mm increments and also can be positioned at any depth in 25mm increments using the optional grid straps. Conductive subpanels are unpainted galvanized steel. All necessary mounting hardware is included.
PPP46, PPP47, etc.

Be careful with the hoffman stuff. Went down that road awhile ago and got in trouble. The racks they have are more typically the type of racks taht you see used in the computer industry with the square holes punched in the rails. If you use only their components, things work out ok cause it is all standardized around the metric spacing they use. If you are tryong to mi into a typical EIA 19" rack that uses a typical 1.75" rack spacing, and uses #10 screws into the rails to secure items, the hoffman system doesn't really work well.

Also check out Markertek.com. they service the broadcast industry, but jave a huge selection of racks, parts, and accessories. Also look at www.middleatlantic.com which system to be the leader in rack and rack acessories for the entertainment/broadcast world.

Rittal makes a set of channels that when mounted in a cabinet form a 19" rack. The channels are recessed to accept a 4x4 panduit duct and hold it two inches above the mounting screws. 2x2 duct and din rail can then be mounted horizontally across the rails (you would probably want to use deep rail). I saw a modicon 984 system like this one once. The face of the PLC, expansion racks, the ducts, and the terminals were all in the same plane. It looked very nice as a way to rack out a PLC, but not so accomodating when it comes to other variable depth components and for that reason I'm not a fan of that style of mounting.

I've built some training and sales demos where I just mounted the PLC to a standard 19" blanking plate and mounted the plate to the rack.

We use din rail rack panels made by Rackmount.com to mount standard PLCs in 19" rack enclosures. These panels work great!

http://www.rackmount.com/Rackacc2/Racks-Cabinet/RCB1112.htm
http://www.rackmount.com/Rackacc2/Racks-Cabinet/RCB1122.htm

Tim

I've installed a 1756-A10 chassis in a rack mount enclosure. Had to use a remote power supply to achieve this. Also had custom mounting brackets made. Turned out clean.