This is the darndest request I've gotten

Customer wants to run a system and play MP3 files - songs that relate to machine problems. Wants to store MP3s in PLC and plug in speakers to play the music.

I've suggested an IPC with an embedded PLC that could trigger the files and play them over USB to USB speakers, but the customer is put off by the cost and the desire to use a "standard" PLC.

Any suggestions? - I'm open as to platform..

Sounds like a crazy idea to me, but if the customer pays...

Older Omron PLCs (C200 series, I beleive) used to have an audio module - but those are now mostly obsolete.

Pro-face GP3000 touchscreens can have sound files stored and played - not sure about MP3 format though. You would have to have a Compact Flash card inserted to store the files; an audio output is on the standard touchscreen I/O connector.

I recall that the Red Lion G3 operator interface has an audio capability like what you're describing; a couple of Red Lion guys are regulars and should chime in.

I would be extremely surprised to discover an MP3-playing standard logic controller. You could very likely trigger media file playing from a PC-resident control engine.

For your first test, you've gotta load the machine up with AC/DC's "Who Made Who" !

Just a wild assed guess: Beckhoff Twincat?

Some models are actually Win CE boxes with IO.

We once fixed up an RSView station with MS's voice simulators and a sexy female voice to say a few ... ahem... shall we say emberassing things and leave it at that... to a particular operator. (Caution when doing things like that, it could be a short cut to trouble)

Last edited:
"Mr. Robotto" might be a good tune as well!!!

After the customer shot down my IPC idea, I followed up with an HMI - I know that the Mitsubishi GOT has speakers and can play sound files, but the guy is, at the moment, adamant about doing this through the PLC. Other than this whole music thing, the machine is rather simple and he prefers using low functionality HMIs like the E200.

I'm not very familiar with Red Lion or the G3 - I'll have to check it out.

Ya gotta start the shift with Pink Floyd's Welcome to the machine...
don't Automation Direct has a Windows CE CPU ?

Last edited:
In a previous job, I set up FIX with a Win911 card. I then digitized some sayings that pertained to the alarm that became active. The Win911 card goes into the computer and can even be set up to go through the plant if you have a plant wide speaker system. I even had it go through the repeater to the radios the maintenance guys carried.

George

I second the Beckhoff idea. In addition to the CE machines they also have a version that runs XP embedded and TwinCAT. That MAY be a bit more flexible.

When the machine takes a digger I vote for 'Screaming for Vengeance' by Judas Priest.
Keith

Redlion G3 has the PlayRTTTL command

I have used it on occasion to wake up a QA operator to release a sylo at the customers request, its not MP3 and its not fairly quiet if in a noisy enviroment.

P​
LAYRTTTL(TUNE)

A​
RGUMENT TYPE DESCRIPTION

tune cstring​
The tune to be played in RTTTL representation.

D​
ESCRIPTION

Plays a tune using the terminal’s internal beeper. The​
tune argument should contain the tune

to be played in RTTTL format—the format used by a number of cell phones for custom ring​

tones. Sample tunes can be obtained from many sites on the World Wide Web.​

F​
UNCTION TYPE

This function is active.

R​
ETURN TYPE

This function does not return a value.

E​
XAMPLE

PlayRTTTL("TooSexy:d=4,o=5,b=40:16f,16g,16f,16g,16f.,16f,16g,16f,16g,16g#​

.,16g#,16g,16g#,16g,16f.,16f,16g,16f,16g,16f.,16f,16g,16f,16g,16f.,16f,16​

g,16f,16g,16g#.,16g#,16g,16g#,16g,16f.,16f,16g,16f,16g,32f.")

Last edited: