This is the darndest request I've gotten

Ken Roach said:
For your first test, you've gotta load the machine up with AC/DC's "Who Made Who" !

RTTTL Code for above

Composer = ACDC_Who_Made_Who:Tempo=120: 2c3, 16c1, 16.b, 8.d2, 16.#f2, 16g3, 4.#a, 8.#g, 8c3, 4f2, 16.#a3, 8.#g, 4#d1, 4a1, 8.g1, 4b, 4.#d1, 32#d2, 32f1, 16g2, 16.c2, 8a1, 16.c, 16#a1,

This is something I was asked to look into as well by my manager. She happened to come across a plant that played different music depending on which department had a fault. (This happened to be a Toyota plant). Due to their size they needed some way to communicate different alarms in different areas, so not a bad idea.

I believe when I was there, they had a fault that triggered "who let the dogs out". I would imagine you could use a PC to play sounds over the PA system, if they have one. OPC server and some VB code later and your done.

A few years ago I did a control system based on the Beckhoff CX1000. The controller had pictures loaded in a directory on the CX1000 and when an error message came up with the name of one of the pictures embedded in the message, it would pop up a picture of the device that caused the alarm. The front end was a VB app that ran in the controller.

The CX series controllers can be order with an audio module, therefore in theory the same concept can be done with audio clips.

That's pretty wild! I remember accomodating such requests when I worked as an integrator - we were like flexible whores. Be careful what you promise. It does make for a happy customer though.

If the customer wants to go cheap - relatively cheap, because I wouldn't take this on if he's really cheap, just use a PC with computer speakers running an HMI. Alternatively, you could use an embedded computer with a line out to their existing factory speaker system.

If the customer wants it done right I'd recommend a centralized setup. Think like you would do home audio in your dream house. Speakers mounted on the plant floor would be run to a central rack, which would house recievers/amplifiers for 1 or more channels. A PC would play the audio based on PLC triggers.

SteinCollector said:
Customer wants to run a system and play MP3 files - songs that relate to machine problems. Wants to store MP3s in PLC and plug in speakers to play the music.

I've suggested an IPC with an embedded PLC that could trigger the files and play them over USB to USB speakers, but the customer is put off by the cost and the desire to use a "standard" PLC.

Any suggestions? - I'm open as to platform..

Surferb-

See post 8.

It looks like the OP really has his hands tied. If the customer is going to be so restrictive on this type of project the OP should probably just respectfully decline and move on.

Keith

You could buy a $20 MP3 player and take it apart. Wire the controls to the PLC outputs and there you go - a PLC controlled MP3 player. One output is play / pause, two more are |< and >|. (That way you can skip to a required song.)

You might as well grab a NEMA case from your local electronics shop and put the gutted MP3 player in there. Run the leads to the end of the case and there you go. Remember to run a regulated DC voltage to the battery terminals.

Don't forget to put your USB port on the outside of the case so you can update the music from your laptop.

Good point - I missed that part. It's silly when customers who don't know how things work dictate implementation specifics. That's on par with asking you to wash dishes with your toaster oven. They should provide requirements, to which you propose solution options.

kamenges said:
Surferb-

See post 8.

It looks like the OP really has his hands tied. If the customer is going to be so restrictive on this type of project the OP should probably just respectfully decline and move on.

Keith

Peter Nachtwey said:
I was thinking more along the lines of sound effects like
1 Windows breaking
2 A train wreck
3 a bomb whistle then the sound of the explosion.
4 Race car engines reving up
5 Bugle play taps
This could be fun.

I think I've got most of these on a disk somewhere as wavs ,my favorites are from 2001 it's HAL saying "I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't that" and the theme from The Addams Family

I likey...:ROFLMAO:

MASEngr said:
You could buy a $20 MP3 player and take it apart. Wire the controls to the PLC outputs and there you go - a PLC controlled MP3 player. One output is play / pause, two more are |< and >|. (That way you can skip to a required song.)

You might as well grab a NEMA case from your local electronics shop and put the gutted MP3 player in there. Run the leads to the end of the case and there you go. Remember to run a regulated DC voltage to the battery terminals.

Don't forget to put your USB port on the outside of the case so you can update the music from your laptop.

consys said:
I think I've got most of these on a disk somewhere as wavs ,my favorites are from 2001 it's HAL saying "I'm sorry Dave I'm afraid I can't that" and the theme from The Addams Family

Okay, let's throw in the theme from Sanford and Son...

(you know the one you whistle while you rummage through the junkyard trying to find scraps to make machine parts from, since the company won't buy new parts...Oh wait, that was my old employer...nevermind)

I suspect this will be an industry standard in a year or two.

Honeywell's graphic chart recorder now comes with 20 different "sounds", such as
- alarm clock
- bell
- car alarm
- Gestapo siren
- Klaxon
- Dive alert

If those don't work for you, it's possible to load any .wav file up to 100kb in size.

Dan