This is the darndest request I've gotten

There must be 100 ways to do this but if it's an industrial customer refusing the PC I would go with an embeded controller or maybe something like the Schneider Magelis XBT Touch screens. Some have sound and video file capabilities and will allow several variations of wav files and If I'm not mistaken mp3's...
Be careful though, the line between what is considered a computer and what is considered a controller gets very blurred when you approach capabilities such as playing MP3's. I would first try and understand the definition of "PC" that the customer holds and work from there.

http://www.telemecanique.com/en/products/index_fon4_fam5_dial_term_magelisxbtgt.htm

or

http://www.telemecanique.com/en/products/index_fon4_fam5_dial_magelis_xbtgtw.htm

Just my 2c

WireWrap said:
There must be 100 ways to do this but if it's an industrial customer refusing the PC I would go with an embeded controller or maybe something like the Schneider Magelis XBT Touch screens. Some have sound and video file capabilities and will allow several variations of wav files and If I'm not mistaken mp3's...
Be careful though, the line between what is considered a computer and what is considered a controller gets very blurred when you approach capabilities such as playing MP3's. I would first try and understand the definition of "PC" that the customer holds and work from there.

http://www.telemecanique.com/en/products/index_fon4_fam5_dial_term_magelisxbtgt.htm

or

http://www.telemecanique.com/en/products/index_fon4_fam5_dial_magelis_xbtgtw.htm

Just my 2c

Beat me too it, but you have to be quite high up in the product range to get the audio output.

I think the $99 mp3 module is a nice solution

The idea is not at all so far fetched. I have tinkered with it, but never actually implemented it. My idea was to have more detailed alarm messages out in the plant than just an alarm horn.
edit: And oh yes, I remember that the problem was that many operators have very low education, and may not be able to read at all ! There may be a message saying "Close the door, and press the button to continue the sequence", and he just stares on it with no idea what to do.

I think that maybe vaw files are better than mp3 files. I am guessing that a vaw files will play almost instantly, whereas an mp3 player has to load first.

It would be technically trivial to implement if you have a PC HMI. Some HMI/SCADA packages have descriptions how to setup sound messages.

For a PLC with sound output I second the idea of a Beckhoff. The CX range has Windows XP Embedded, and you can add a module with sound i/o.
I have no idea how to make the Twincat PLC program trigger sounds, but maybe Beckhoff can tell. The custome dont have to know that it is really an IPC, for all he needs to know it is a "real" PLC.

Last edited:
If you had a card with a PWM modulated output, you could use is to drive a circuit that could drive some speakers. Middle C is 440 Hz. Create a table with the frequencies for each of the notes and the desired duration and send it to the output.

surferb said:
Care to translate?

missies druk die groen knoppie : I'll try .Its a ring-tone in afrikaans ( one of the many lanquages in South-Africa).translated it would 'sound' something like "Madam , please press the green button" but its meaningless if you haven't heard the ring-tone

greetings

Eric

EDIT PS.something funny if I write ******** ( r i n g t o n e ) it replaces it with stars ???

Last edited:
I really don't want to give this information because I completely disagree with this concept. Many of our Japanese machines came in with these melody playing alarms. It was nothing to go out on the floor and hear "Happy Birthday", "Mary had a little Lamb", and "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" playing at the same time on different machines. These did nothing to alert a serious problem, which audible alarms should be doing. They are not toys to have people on the floor dancing to. There is just no urgency when Itsy Bitsy Spider is playing. I can get off my soapbox now and at least answer the question (partially). This company

http://www.patlite.com/audible.htm

is who made all the alarm that played melodies. We have taken ALL melodies off our machines and use regular alarms. In addition, you can record certain messages (or music) for a custom alarm. It is not an MP3 player but it would serve the same purpose.

OOPS, back on soapbox again....
If you are worried about people not reading alarm messages, then try to get these same people to understand the London Bridges (or I can't drive 55) means there is a jam and Camptown Races (or Back in Black) means material is low. Very bad idea in someone's mind and practically, it will NOT work.

Also, I would hate to be on a witness stand answering why someone got hurt on a machine and I had the machine playing some kind of music.

brucechase said:
Also, I would hate to be on a witness stand answering why someone got hurt on a machine and I had the machine playing some kind of music.

...or they found out that if you stuck a piece of paper in the safety sensor, it would play Cult songs all day, so they did that because management banned radios from the shop floor.

I tend to agree with you Bruce. Either:
1. make the alarms the most horrible noise imaginable so you KNOW something is wrong and you MUST fix it or
2. have the MP3s be descriptive: "JAM in area 4! Power down coil 7 and turn on switch 14 to clear!" "FIRE! Evacuate! HALON system engaging in 28 seconds!"

Make sure the customer furnishes all the MP3 files and have them sign off that you are not responsible for any possible copyright infringement (I hear the RIAA has spies everywhere ... ;) )

SteinCollector said:
Customer wants to run a system and play MP3 files - songs that relate to machine problems. Wants to store MP3s in PLC and plug in speakers to play the music.

I've suggested an IPC with an embedded PLC that could trigger the files and play them over USB to USB speakers, but the customer is put off by the cost and the desire to use a "standard" PLC.

Any suggestions? - I'm open as to platform..

Why not email him a link to this thread :) ?

When I worked at Experience Music Project in Seattle they had several recordings to indicate emergency such as "emergency please leave the building now". When they did smoke detector checks this thing played every 30 seconds or so. After an hour of it you were tired after 8 hours you were nearly crazy from the stupid thing.

So if you do incorporate this make sure you have some way to turn the XXXX thing off.
Dan Bentler

Play It Again, Sam

Take a look at Automation Direct's C-More Panels. They have triggerable audio outputs, and can play .wav files stored in the panel (on a USB drive or CF card to save program space if you have a lot of titles). All you have to do is set the triggers up in EVENT MANAGER, and plug in a set of speakers into the panel. It works great!