Powerflex control w/CompactLogix

jedft

I hope this makes sense, It's 3:15am and I'm really frustrated...

Here is what I have:

PowerFlex 400 VFD w/22-COMM-E Ethernet board.
CompactLogix 1769-L32E Processor
H-O-A switch
Relay(we'll call it R1) w/2 form C contacts that is energized when HOA is in Hand.
Right now there is a NO contact from R1 going to the drive's Start terminal (02) and a NC contact from R1 going to terminal 8 (Set to default "Comm Port") telling the drive to use Comms when HOA is not in Hand.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

When HOA is in Auto I want the start command/speed reference to come from the PLC over Ethernet. This part works fine.

When HOA is in Hand and VFD-PLC Comms are OK, I want the start command to come from drive terminals using R1 and the speed reference to come from PLC. I could change the PLC program so the start command still comes from the PLC if I need to but....

Most importantly, when HOA is in Hand and Comms have failed, I want the start command to come from the drive terminals using R1 and the speed reference to come from the drive keypad. In other words, when I put the HOA in Hand I want the drive to start and use the arrow keys on the keypad to control speed. I can't seem to find a combination of drive inputs and parameters to do this. The drive is set to Stop instead of Fault on Comm Loss (param C105). Am I asking too much? Is this even possible?

Thank you for your time.

jedft said:
I hope this makes sense, It's 3:15am and I'm really frustrated...

Here is what I have:

PowerFlex 400 VFD w/22-COMM-E Ethernet board.
CompactLogix 1769-L32E Processor
H-O-A switch
Relay(we'll call it R1) w/2 form C contacts that is energized when HOA is in Hand.
Right now there is a NO contact from R1 going to the drive's Start terminal (02) and a NC contact from R1 going to terminal 8 (Set to default "Comm Port") telling the drive to use Comms when HOA is not in Hand.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

When HOA is in Auto I want the start command/speed reference to come from the PLC over Ethernet. This part works fine.

When HOA is in Hand and VFD-PLC Comms are OK, I want the start command to come from drive terminals using R1 and the speed reference to come from PLC. I could change the PLC program so the start command still comes from the PLC if I need to but....

Most importantly, when HOA is in Hand and Comms have failed, I want the start command to come from the drive terminals using R1 and the speed reference to come from the drive keypad. In other words, when I put the HOA in Hand I want the drive to start and use the arrow keys on the keypad to control speed. I can't seem to find a combination of drive inputs and parameters to do this. The drive is set to Stop instead of Fault on Comm Loss (param C105). Am I asking too much? Is this even possible?

Thank you for your time.

Do you have the digital input set up according to the following table, this is from PowerFlex 40 manual.

Set to #5 source of start/stop command freq

p.s.

Gotta love being on a start up sitting at a computer 6:00am on a Saturday

It kinda makes my head hurt too, as the PowerFlex 400 has a built-in HOA mode so most of the documentation focuses on that.

First, let's handle the communication loss behavior.

Drive parameters C102 through C106 refer specifically to the DSI RS485 port. If you have a 22-COMM-E plugged locally into the drive, there is almost no chance that the DSI communication will fail, so leave that DSI comm failure parameter alone.

What you want to operate on is the more likely scenario of Ethernet communications being interrupted to the 22-COMM-E. On the 22-COMM-E, set parameter 18 (Comm Fault Action) to a value of 4 (Send Flt Cfg).

What you want is for the 22-COMM-E to set a bit to select the local speed reference if its Ethernet connection fails.

Set Parameter 20 (Fault Config Logic) to set Bit 13 = 1 so that the drive will use the Internal Speed Reference.

I don't have a PF400 on hand so I can't test this directly, but it might help your progress. Hope you got some sleep this morning.

That was it Ken, thanks so much!

I actually set P20 bit 6 = 1 (Local Control) , which I have set up to use 2-wire command and Keypad reference. So now if I lose Ethernet (thanks for pointing out the difference in Comm Fault parameters between the 22-COMM-E and the VFD) the Hand position starts the drive, and I control speed from the keypad.

Thanks again.